add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Thinshaw18
  • 17 months ago

Last night I swapped out my case and cooler from an NZXT S340 and Cooler Master MA620P (the cooler is too big for the case and scratches the glass) for a Thermaltake View 37 and Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 RGB but after putting everything together it won't POST. Everything comes on and it looks pretty as all get out, but no POST. I had a POSTing problem before but that was due to bent CPU pins on the motherboard. I didn't take the CPU out of the motherboard this time so that couldn't be it. I don't have a system speaker which I know would help but I would love thoughts and opinions. Here are a few of my guesses:

1. When I took off the thermal paste the Isopropyl alcohol might have gotten somewhere it shouldn't. I don't think this would be a problem but it's a possibility, right? I was pretty cautious with it.

2. I forgot to install one of the standoffs so there's a possibility that the motherboard is touching the case.

3. There might be a bent pin somewhere

4. There might be a broken part. I hope not, but there's always the risk when you move things around.

Everything worked perfectly fine before swapping it all over. I'm sure it's something simple and silly. Tonight I will breadboard the PC and see if I can figure anything out as well as get a system speaker, but in the mean time I would like ideas if at all possible. Here's the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $347.99
CPU Cooler Thermaltake - Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $185.54
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $177.94
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $190.88
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $69.89
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $154.99
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card Purchased For $340.00
Case Thermaltake - View 37 RGB Edition ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $139.99
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $107.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing Plus 14 RGB TT Premium Edition (3 Fan Pack) 63.2 CFM 140mm Fans Purchased For $109.67
Monitor Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Monitor Dell - SE2417HG 23.6" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor Purchased For $109.99
Keyboard Razer - BlackWidow Chroma V2 Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $109.99
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $49.99
Headphones Corsair - VOID PRO RGB USB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $73.91
Other ASUS ROG Addressable RGB 5050 LED 60cm Lighting Strip with Magnetic Purchased For $29.99
Other ASUS ROG Addressable RGB 5050 LED 60cm Lighting Strip with Magnetic Purchased For $29.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2227.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-20 08:08 EDT-0400

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you made sure all your cables are securely plugged in, and you didn’t forgot to plug one in such as CPU power?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Naw everything is plugged in and I checked it all a few times to make sure it was snug

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try starting the PC by shorting the 2 pins that you normally connect to the case power button?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not. That's an odd thing to try but why not lol

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m just saying this because, you could have a faulty case button.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah definitely a possibility

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you need to pull the chip and examine the socket pins. While you are at it pull everything else out. Have only what you need to get a post. If you get a post add parts back one at a time. Put the standoff in too.

Isopropyl alcohol contains water so it can be conductive. If it made its way under the CPU it may take longer to evaporate.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm that's a good point. I will try turning it on when I get home to see if there was water underneath. I will re-examine my socket pins and chip also, but I really don't think that would be the problem as the only thing I did to the CPU was clean it and reapply thermal paste. I will be breadboarding it when I get home for sure.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

When I'm trouble shooting many times its the thing I thought it wasn't. That's the joy in trouble shooting you just never really know.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol very true my first motherboard had bent pins in the CPU socket and it was literally the very last thing I checked.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Let us know how you make out.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do boss, thanks for your help!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured out what the problem was and I gotta say it's pretty inconvenient. Turns out the HDMI port on my monitor is busted. I used a display cable before but my nephew broke it so I had to use HDMI. That's hella frustrating lol. I spent so much time troubleshooting just to find out the port on the monitor is the issue...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube