add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Headset Mic Picking Up Computer Sounds

Criticalz234
  • 17 months ago

Title says it. I've been having this problem ever since i got the headset, I thought id adapt to letting my friends in Discord hear my background noise, but they have started to find this annoying, especially since they the echo bothers them if we're in the same game... I've tried many ways to fix this, but none of them seem to quite work. I got a USB extension adapter recently, and I've got my headset plugged in (VIA USB, obviously), and I wouldnt like to plug my headset anywhere else in my PC, as most my USB adapters have stopped working... I've tried to disable everything but my headset and mic in the "Sound" settings, I've checked discord and made sure the problem wasnt from their end. I've also tried messing around with my sound settings. When I open my realtek audio manager, recently this message started popping up. "You are seeing a blank page because there is no audio devices plugged in the system. To activate HUI, please plug an audio device in the system". This may be due to my USB extension adapter, although, I dont see why that would be the problem. It would be great if anyone has any advice for me fixing this problem. I am currently using the Corsair HS60 headset + mic.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

The PC should be able to recognize an audio input if the microphone is picking up sounds, so there may be an issue with the USB extension or the computer itself. That being said, if you do see an audio input option under the "recording devices" options (right click the speaker on the bottom right corner to find this) then try messing with the "enhancements" tab to adjust volume boosts. You can increase or decrease inputs somewhat manually this way.

Alternatively, you can more precisely adjust the input settings via discord's sound settings. If you have input set to volume activation, you should see a little yellow bar that bounces up and down according to how much sound is being picked up. The best bet is to set the little slider on the yellow bar just above any background noise, typing, and mouse clicking. This slider determines the sound threshold before it actually starts sending sound through the mic to your friends on discord, so only when you speak should the yellow bar go above (or further to the right) than the slider.

Beyond this, I can only suggest potentially adjusting volume input settings via a separate Corsair audio program, buying a separate volume mixer, or just buying a new headset/microphone altogether.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

On the "enhancements" tab, theres only an option to disable sound effects. I prefer not to use discords input adjustment section, as I'd have to turn the bar nearly all the way up, and I'd prefer not to speak too loudly just to transmit my voice.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm. That's an odd one...have you tried directly plugging into your PC instead of using the extension adapter? That would help narrow down if the issue is with the extension or something else.

Other than that, I suppose it could be a driver issue maybe? What OS are you using?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm currently using Win10, and I have tried not using the extension adapter as you'd stated, and It doesnt help my case; the sound still transmits through discord.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a built in PC microphone? We ran into an issue at work with our Skype conferences and it turned out that a user had his PC mic enabled as well as his headset mic. Caused a LOT of background noise and echoing. Disabling the PC mic may fix the issue.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

No I do not.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube