add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC starts to acts weird after short time of gaming

AdmiralSoup

17 months ago

I have an old PC rig from my brother-in-law. He gave it to me after he quit gaming... because he got married to my sister. ;) It was pretty powerful system once but that was about a decade ago. The PC is pretty old but it used to work properly until recently. The only couple things I added/changed about a year ago were newer GPU and more RAM because I've found a decent deal on those parts. I also applied new thermal paste for the CPU cooler. However, about 4 months ago the PC started to act weird. After 15-30 min. of gaming I started to hear subtle crackling audio distortions. Those distortions intensify with time passing and are joined with some visual stutter. I add the YouTube link to the capture of this phenomena at its worse. Here is what I tried so far that didn't helped:

• reinstalling the Windows,
  • adding the SSD and reinstalling the Windows and games onto it.

Additional notes:

• The load for GPU, CPU nad RAM while gaming does not exceed 50%.
  • The temps while gaming are about 650 C for CPU and mobo, and below 700 C for GPU.
  • This happens to ALL games, even those not too demanding ones like Pillars of Eternity 1 or older games like Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur.
  • The audio and visual stutter continues after game is closed and can be experienced while browsing Internet. However, it fades away after few minutes.

Here is YouTube link I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YboFv7uh_0&t=17s

Part List:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-920 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $20.00
CPU Cooler Corsair - H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $30.00
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $100.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $25.00
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Mini ITX OC Video Card Purchased For $150.00
Power Supply Thermaltake - Toughpower 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $80.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Monitor Samsung - S20C300BL 19.5" 1600x900 Monitor Purchased For $120.00
Other Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card Purchased For $35.00
Other Thermaltake V9 VJ40001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Purchased For $15.00
Other ASUS P6T SE Purchased For $160.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $735.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-25 22:25 EDT-0400

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Please, read this.

I have experienced similar issues with a different game before. It was my CPU overheating.

Your CPU may overheat as well. Or one of its core is running at 100%, the other on a lower utilization (e.g. 50%, 25%, 25% this adds up to an average of 50% across all four cores). While the game (rendering and sound) is bound to the overused core, you can't get proper performance, even though the rest of the cores are not fully utilized. Make sure you measure your CPU performance per core. Also, make sure you measure the temperature while the game is running and look back at a history or to see what the temperatures were e.g. 30 seconds ago (before you ALT-TABbed out). Or use a software that records maximum temperatures (e.g. HWiNFO).

Update:

I looked at the video again, at it says solid 60 FPS and 60 C-ish temperature.

Usually, when the CPU is overloaded, everything slows down (not just sound, but video as well -- lower frame rates). Unless they are using separate cores (dedicate?)...

It may be worth trying a different video card or maybe a sound card if the CPU comes up clean after the diagnostics (not running near 100% in any of the cores)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 for the info

Although, he mentioned that his all-core CPU temperature is 65C, so overheating is a only 50-50 possibility from me.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Sometimes cores have various temperatures. Or people do not measure the temperature the right way.

I'm not saying it's an overheating issue, but I'm pretty sure it's a CPU issue (thermal throttling or 100% CPU core usage).

Let's see if AdmiralSoup can give us more details.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

could be a hard drive issue. or bad update some where

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

As I mentioned, I reinstalled the Windows on my old HDD and it didn't helped. Then, I added a SSD, installed whole system on that and that didn't helped either. So it's probably not drive's issue. As for updates, those were always installed for he latest version after each system reinstall. I also updated BIOS at one point as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think the audio and video stuttering could be associated to different issues? Or do those two happen together all the time? The first course of action I can think of is removing the sound card and just using mobo onboard audio. (or just play without sound for a bit to test if video still stutters)

And to clarify, this only happens when you are gaming? Or does it happen during idle as well?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked before and it is not a audio issue. No matter weather I use my USB headset, or speakers plugged in to sound card or mobo, the crackling still appears. Also as you can see in a video, the visual stutter is very minimal, its mostly audio.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

How old is the video card? May be a failing or improperly seated GPU.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought it a year ago. It was retail new from Gigabyte store on Amazon, not pre-owned.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Do benchmarks show if the GPU or CPU are underperforming?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest I didn't run any. What do you recommend me to do?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry it took some time everybody. Here are some screen-shots after about 20 min in Battlefield 1:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HJhuprk8Cb7IkVlcEGXqeG0BQJrkUlg9

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LFVbZi06-yhuL2XPNUIzU9fa0Ly6r4Rk

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh, one of your cores seems to be suffering quite a bit. Do you have software that can record temps from individual cores?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

PerformanceTest app shows current and max individual core temps after BF1 sesion on foregoing screen shots.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is new PassMark benchmark run after switching SATA ports and removing one RAM stick. It seem to have no effect.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yzh_S90LXQytPMftdN4SSC2o7iXp4-Xo

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube