add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trouble Downloading OS

Zolan
  • 20 months ago

So I just built a new PC, and I've been finagling with some windows vista and 7 CD installers that I borrowed from my Dad. I planned to install them just until I could install windows 10, but the strange thing is I can't get them to install at all.

Booting the optical drive does not seem to be the problem. I set everything up for booting on the CD-Drive, they read just fine, and I get prompted to install windows 7 or vista on either CD successfully, but then my keyboard and mouse turn off for some reason during the "install windows" menu-- the one where you select the language, region, input method, and I can't seem to select my install.

I honestly don't know what the issue would be. It doesn't seem like theres a problem with my keyboard and mouse, they're brand new after all and they worked just fine navigating the BIOS/UEFI. It's only when I'm prompted to install windows that I can't seem to use them, and I can't explain why. I've tried it on both CDs with the same problem. I've even tried plugging in a different keyboard in various USB ports just to be sure, but that does not seem to do the trick. So any help is appreciated. My best guess as to what the problem is would have something to do with the input method, but I have no idea how to change that without any input. I'm kinda a newbie so I'm lost at this point, and any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

First of all why are you using optical media for your installation? It would be easier to create a USB. Second why are you using widows 7 or vista and not 10?

And lastly it is likely because you have modern hardware. What is your parts list? Modern CPUs don't support versions of windows older than 8.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm using optical because I ripped apart the only PC in my house and cobbled it together into the newer one, and as far as I've tried, attempting to make a media creation tool with a mac does not seem to work. Also I just lost the USB I planned on using it for, so that's convenient.

Parts list: pcpartpicker, it's pretty decent. The only thing I took out of the old PC was the power supply. Was planning on using the old optical drive too but my motherboard didn't have an HDD plug.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah Ryzen does not support windows 7. You need windows 10.

Also was your PC a prebuilt or just an older custom build one? Because the PSUs in prebuilts are typically trash.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Using an older keyboard with that different port I can't remember the name of seemed to do the trick, and it may have installed if it wasn't for the fact that the product key I had was already used, lol.

The psu wasn't from a pre-built, it's just old. I did have to buy a couple sata splitters simply because I didn't have enough length or enough connections to work with, but the voltage seemed like more than enough. The two 4-pin connectors for power at the top of the motherboard were not very long and they stretch over the video card, which worries me a little, but so far so fine. It's a 700 volt semi-modular zalman, a zalman zm600-hp I believe.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Late reply to an older thread I know, but here goes. For Windows 7 and older you need a keyboard and mouse with P/S 2 connections to work during install. Once installed, USB connections will work just fine. This isn't an issue with Windows 10.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

... install windows 7 ...

To install Windows 7,
You can use ASUS's own ASUS EZ Installer to create a bootable Win7 DVD/USB media.

A typical Win7 installation media does not include required drivers for a Asus Prime X470-Pro.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube