add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC not booting past MoBo flash screen

Finchoyd
  • 17 months ago

Hello, all! I recently completed my first build (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Finchoyd/saved/) and everything has been running perfectly fine for around two weeks. Early this morning (around 4A on 9/28/18) I turned my comp on and it seemed to be frozen on the MSI boot screen (the one right before Windows 10 login comes up). Did some light research via phone and I went in the direction of unplugging everything fro the comp and booting up. That worked, which is nice, but I don't want to have to boot my comp up that way every time. Anyone have an experience with this issue or any suggestions/ solutions? Any input would be nice and I thank you for your time!

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

I would try to boot it up with everything you need plugged in and then one by one take out cables that aren't necessary to try to narrow down if it is a single thing plugged in that is causing this. You could work it the other way and boot it up with one thing connected and then add in another until it doesn't boot.

My initial thought is that it is the motherboard. Usually motherboards don't just die, they slowly stop working. Maybe you just got unlucky and got one that was almost DOA.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The only things I have plugged in are the Keyboard, mouse and headset (besides the monitor). So I did as instructed and it boots up just fine with the keyboard and mouse in but not the headset. I went to MSIs website and they released On-Board Audio Drivers today, which is nice, but after DLing and installing, the issue still seems to persist.

Should note that after I boot up and plug the headset back in, I don't get any errors until I start steaming audio. Shortly after, I get a notification reading something along the lines of; "The USB device you have plugged in is not recognized by Windows. Try unplugging and plugging back in and if the problem continues, there might be in issue with your device". So I checked Logitechs site for possible drivers for my headset and come up with nothing of a relative date. Also tried other USB ports to see if that might have been the issue, still the same problem.

Could it be possible the motherboard is close to completing it's life cycle? I've read that it's possible they can come pretty close to DOA but I would think I'm having more issues than the current one.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a weird combination of errors. Try to make sure Windows is up to date as well. If Windows doesn't have any updates then I would say it might be the board or the headset. Do you have another PC to try with the headset? Do you have any extra parts to try to swap out?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube