add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bought a used comp and CPU is overheating..help!

Cedrik20

16 months ago

Hey!

I just bought a used comp and I am having issues with the CPU overheating. The guy who sold it to me had it run for a good 15 minutes and it was really quiet and had no issues. When I got home I unplugged it all, cleaned evert part of it, and put it back together. On the first startup I immediately noticed that there my CPU cooler was making tons of noise. I noticed that in my BIOS, only my CPU fan was showing (at 2.2k RPM) compared to all fans showing when I tested it over at his place.

Here is what I have: 8700k Z370-E Rog Strix H100i V2 Corsair 750T case As for the rest it probably doesn't matter.

All my other fans turn but as I said don't show up in bios.

My CPU is at 60-90 degrees while doing nothing.

As I said, it was normally working until I unplugged, cleaned, and replugged. The wires coming from my CPU cooler (3 of them) are plugged this way:

The 2 that are together plug into the fans which are attached to the "big" piece.

The single wire is attached to the CPU fan slot on the motherboard.

The last one was put into the USB 2.0 slot.

When reading online many people mention the pump failing. I am unsure how to check this and would be surprised as it was working fine before. When I cleaned the computer I made sure to be careful and only used air pumps and wipes to clean the fans which i detached first.

I did not re-apply thermal paste, so perhaps I should do that, but then again would this cause it to fail so suddenly?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 4 points

When I got home I unplugged it all, cleaned evert part of it, and put it back together.

You better reapply the thermal paste.

Did you reconnect the Corsair H100 AIO CPU cooler properly? Can you hear/feel it pumping the water?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

How can I tell if it is pumping the water? This is my first time owning a CPU cooler, let alone touching one. All I know is that the part where the fans are attached is making a ton of noise. If i put my fingers on it with very little pressure the noise it makes much less noticeable, but the fans are still very loud.

If I find a 3 year old thermal paste tube that has already been opened can I still use it?

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Simply applying new thermal paste did it... didn't know thermal paste was so important!

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

it could also not have been seated properly, and removing/reinstalling it seated it better.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Live and learn. The Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) on the CPU and the cold plate on the cooler may look perfectly smooth but under a microscope you will see ridges and valleys. The paste fills them in and allows better heat transfer.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm glad you're sorted. :)

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

reapply thermal paste

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube