add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can’t get build to post (first build)

DoppelgangerDev
  • 17 months ago

I’m not sure, exactly what’s going on. I am able to get power to my motherboard as I can see my Asus z370 e lighting up. However both case fans and cpu fan aren’t spinning upon turning on the power. Bios doesn’t show up on my monitor. My gpu (Asus GeForce GTX 108) lights up indicating it’s at least getting power. My pc parts list is : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZRnyQZ

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

there is more than one power cable from the PSU to the motherboard. Ensure you have all of them connected.

(see page 2-8 of the motherboard manual, 2 cables needed)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I’ve got the 24 pin and 8 pin hooked up. I also have the power sw hooked up. I’m worried something could be wrong with the front panel connectors as I can’t get the power button to work. I have the front panel wires just as the manual shows and I even have tried flipping them just to be sure. I did take a screw driver to the pins and it makes a noise as if something is powering. I’m pretty stuck on what else to try.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

in some quick searches I saw that it could be a grounding issue in the case and running it all outside might work as a test. Never had that issue myself and i'm not sure if it is true.

I also read that with just the cpu/cooler installed it should spin the fan (but won't let you boot up). that might be a test to try but i've never done that either and can't really say it will do it.

Basically you need the cpu/fan/ram to boot up. So first thing you do is take the video card out and use on-board video to eliminate it as a failure point. You can also try booting up with just 1 stick of ram (or the other) in case one of them is bad. Or sometimes just taking the ram out and putting back in fixes since they are finicky about being seated properly.

Your psu came with a tester (a cap type plug that goes on the connector to the motherboard power cable). Your PSU needs a signal from the Motherboard to turn on and this just shorts those pins so you can test. so disconnect your PSU, plug the tester cap on, and just connect the cpu fan directly to the PSU. turn it on and see if it spins the fan, checking to see if it is broken. (your pc won't boot if it doesn't detect the fan spinning).

The power button does not matter if it is reversed or not, all it does is make the connection when pressed to complete the circuit (which is the same as directly taking the screwdriver to those pins on the motherboard)

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for such a detailed response, I definitely want to try the tester cap! I didn’t realize that even was a thing. I’m going to start with maybe removing some pieces and see how that goes to eliminate those as being the cause. I’m hoping it’s just something as easy as improperly seated ram! Thanks again for the super useful reply!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the fans plugged into the motherboard?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube