add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My computer keeps shocking me!!!

Mr.Rankine

16 months ago

I'm really concerned, everything works fine but when I switched on the power supply the fan screws and sometimes the case keep shocking me. I thought it was static at first, but when I leave my hand on it will give a constant shock (btw it hurt). What's going on? PC list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRmrpG

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 4 points

Your case should be in contact with your power supply, so it's grounded. Your PSU will ground to the earth wire. The earth wire to your outlet's ground.

Either your AC outlet isn't grounded, the PSU earth wire is faulty, or your case isn't grounded to the PSU.

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

I had a very similar thing happen to me. Turns out the ground in the outlet my PC was plugged into was faulty. Plug your PC into a different outlet and see if you have the same issue. Unless you have a really old house, or all the wiring is screwed up that should tell you if the issue is with the outlet or the PC. Alternately you could get a outlet tester, they are around $5-6, just make sure they test ground.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I plugged it in before on a different outlet and never noticed being shocked so that might be it. I'll check thanks

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely get this checked. Faulty wiring could burn down your house

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Turns out my outlet isn't grounded so that's bad

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Does your case have insulating pads so that the PSU doesn't come into contact and shorts the system?

sarcasm alert

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

That's just verging on the believable.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Faulty PSU, replace it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

That is far from a certainty. And, that's a pretty solid PSU. I'd say there is a short somewhere in the system, possibly PSU, possibly MoBo, or anything else, really. Best bet is to start at the PSU and trace back all the wires to ensure there is no metal to metal contact in any of the wires or solder pins. A volt tester could help with diagnostics.

• 16 months ago
  • 5 points

And, that's a pretty solid PSU.

So your current belief is that you'd be shocked if it is the PSU?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Genius pun.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had faulty PSU before that I took a mains voltage bolt off of that left my arm numb.

Try another PSU if you have one and see if the problem goes away.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Being shocked could come from the PSU just like it could come from the MoBo. Not enough info to go off of. Would be nice to have a voltage tester to see what kind of voltage it is. If it's AC that would narrow it down quite a bit.

Edit: Dumb moment, really. Yes, my current belief is I would be shocked if it was the PSU. But, a faulty PSU can really amp things up. Ba dum tss.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

It has to be AC. I've never had a DC shock unless my tongue is involved lol. I'm thinking no ground at the wall.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

If it was the mobo shorting out and shocking him, then the computer almost for sure wouldn't be working lol

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I wonder if your wall outlet is reversed hot and neutral.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube