add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build Strange Performance Lost

B18EGTurboo
  • 16 months ago

Okay so I built my pc, ran through about a million small hicups along the way but finally got it up and running and boy was it fast. Then in the midst of something I did it all of a sudden got super slow and would not load certain web pages and would freeze. I tried to update all my drivers and windows to no avail. I ended up giving up and doing a windows full recovery and fresh install. Then I installed my gpu drivers ect. I started playing games and was getting amazing performance but I wanted to get into the nvidia control panel to make sure G-Sync was on but i couldn't find the control panel anywhere to be found so I tried reinstalling the nvidia driver along with the geforce experience but that still didn't work. Eventually through some quick google searching I found the control panel and found out g-sync was on. I then went on to play more games to find out the same performance loss came back and I was getting 20fps :( what did I do to cause this??

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Can I see your system specs, namely your CPU, GPU and monitor? Are you overclocked at all? I assume your monitor is connected with DisplayPort if G-Sync is on. Make sure VSync is off. 20fps is below the range of adaptive sync. What resolution? If it's 4K then it's probably best to turn SSAA off. Turn off GPU overclocks, I know sometimes NVIDIA cards automatically go into 2d mode if they get too hot (not sure about 10 series). Try going to Device Manager, and go to Display Adapters and see if your card is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." If it is, reinstall the drivers.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Im on a dell s2716dg 144hz 2560x1440p monitor with a 1080ti 8700k. I went into my bios and used a pre set performance OC. Before all that I was playing 7days Dead on ultra settings and getting 100fps avg and then I wanted to make sure g-sync was on but I needed to get into the nvidia control panel but it was no where to be found so I went and reinstalled my gpu drivers and did the bios OC and somewhere along the lines it all went to hell so i undid the bios OC but that still didnt work.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh and my temps never went over 40°c but my gpu usage went from 80% down to 30%

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

That sounds like something to do with the GPU, the CPU overclocks should be fine. Sounds a lot like my GTS 250, when it would go into 2D graphics mode whenever it decided to. I recommend uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers. Then go into Device Manager (right click on the start button and it should be there), go to Display Adapters, and if your GPU is still listed there, click on it and in the top menu, click Uninstall Device. When it asks you if you want to delete them, click Yes. Then restart your PC, and reinstall the official NVIDIA drivers (nothing that isn't from NVIDIA itself), and restart again. See if that helps :)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try that, I want to thank you for your time and efforts in helping me on this troublesome issue. Il repost with my results!

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I would undo the overclock. After you get your system stable then is the time for overclocking.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you only tried the latest set of Nvidia drivers?

Don't use the latest from Nvidia, use the the drivers from your GPU manufacturers website.

I learnt years ago that using the latest Nvidia driver isn't always best cause I had a GPU that was VERY driver specific that it would run with... simply put if I used the latest drivers from the Nvidia website my PC would artifact and crash whenever I opened a game. With the right drivers from the card manufacturer' website the system ran beautifully.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Can we have a full parts list?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up doing a full system recovery and reset then installed all my drivers again and it has been runnning like a drean

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube