add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Yes, the eternal question: 1080p 144Hz vs 1440p 60Hz

geisterfaust

13 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm narrowing down my first PC build, which is based around the Ryzen 2600 and a GTX1070. I have everything more or less already chosen but I can't decide between those two types of monitors. For the longest time ever I had a crappy laptop so the upgrade will be massive regardless of what I choose.

A friend of mine briefly lent me an HP Gaming laptop and I can't remember if it had a 1440p screen or not, the entire Windows layout looked small and really sharp (I know 100% sure it was an IPS screen). I really liked that screen, so I'm buying no matter what an IPS screen,

I know that with 1440p you loose smoothness but gain image quality. I don't plan to play competitive (I mean, a CSGO match here and there but that's it), but I'm concerned about the future proofing of the system. I hate the world future proofing but I'd love to have the system more or less intact for two or three years and then upgrade it if necessary.

The CPU I'm going for is already strong enough and i believe is the sweetspot for gaming. Besides gaming I plan on doing music with VSTs and real instruments.

What do you reckon? Explain in detail if you can please.

Thanks!

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

This is going to be a very mixed opinion debate. I lean toward the 1440p side.

Other considerations:

• You probably won't ditch that monitor completely if you upgrade, many people use a second monitor

• G-Sync is probably out of budget

• There are other monitors worth looking into to like this one that don't really fit neatly to one side; res and refresh rates fall between the two.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey! Thanks for the message. That ultrawide you mention is indeed a great option but I'm afraid it will take quite desk space.

Yes, for the time being I'm staying away from G-Sync monitors, who knows if in the future I'll be using an Nvidia card. I've seen also people arguing between 24 vs 27" 1440p screens, what do you recommend?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

27" in my opinion if you have the desk space and budget.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a 1440p with 75hz or 120hz. that is the sweet spot. 1080 is a thing of the past, well its on the way out at least.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I thought, I'd rather have something with more fidelity and better colors than an insane amount of fps with a meh TN panel.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah IPS is the future as well. i've been holding out for a long time, but i've seen a ton of sales. if its in your budget, there are widescreen curved 33+ inch monitors, 120hz, 1440p, IPS, g-sync for around 900$. But if you don't want widescreen curved, you can get that setup for sub-500$ if you want for the right sale if you are ok with freesync.

what was your budget?

(but definitely don't look at 2K as being 60hz only hehe. 4K yes, because over 60hz is too expensive, but 2K over 75hz nowadays is reasonable, like around 200$)

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Around 350 euros tops. I'd love to upgrade in a far future for something fancier of course.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

try this one:

its ips, free sync, 2K (2560 x 1440), 144hz just at 350 euros. it may not be available at that price outside the u.s. but just an idea that stuff exists at that range.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/478859/xf270hu-27-wqhd-144hz-dvi-hdmi-dp-freesync-gaming-led-monitor

this 2nd one is cheaper, but is 75hz

http://www.microcenter.com/product/482600/l24q-20-238-wqhd-75hz-hdmi-dp-led-monitor

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

The first one is 579€ in several websites in Europe! :))))))))))))) The magic of taxes and **** like that, ya'll have really cheap components there, is really sad.

Thanks though!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube