add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Missled about mechanical keyboards.

nostalgia2302

15 months ago

I’ve been trying to choose some peripherals and after extensive reading I believe I was missled about mechanical switches. I read somewhere that I could choose the type of switch I wanted, which Is why I assumed mechanical keyboards were modular. Like, you could just remove a Cherry keycap and pop in another color of your choice. (Thinking of the Razer Naga Trinity here).

But this is not possible. You can’t just rip and pop whatever you want. It actually requires soldering to change the switches.

So what’s the point of mechanical keyboards?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

The point of mechanical keyboards is because they feel a lot better than membrane and also more durable and a little other stuff too.

There's some hot swappable keyboards which mean you are able to change the switches without doing any soldering too, but most keyboards aren't hot swappable.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

OMG. I just googled ”hot swapping". You just taught me a new term today. I also googled ”hot swapping keyboards” and found that Glorious PC Gaming Race released a fully modular keyboard.

Technology is awesome, isn’t it? These are the things that motivate me to study engineering :)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

the Glorious GMMK is a great keyboard because its hot swappable and has GREAT switches like Kailh Box Reds, available from the website. It is a bit expensive tho since it is hot swap-able

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference between mechanical and membrane is the fact that their keys have individual switches at the bottom, compared to membrane which have 3 membrane layers which touch the conductive trace on the bottom to activate a key switch.

While membranes keyboards are cheap, mechanical keyboards are known to last much, much longer. They can also have lower actuation points (the distance of which you have to press the key for it to register), which can result in faster typing speeds and more comfort to your hands.

Finally, about switches: there are many, many mechanical switches out there, and that's what makes mechanical keyboards good, as you can pick which one your keyboard is made out of. A gamer may prefer red switches that are linear and silent, while a typist may prefer a blue switch, which is loud and tactile.

It's all about paying a bit more for the premium features and quality.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I find it interesting that I game, and type and find blues much more enjoyable over reds or blacks. I am not sure vwhy, but for me the blues feel more usable even in gaming. I guess its really up to taste in the end.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Same, I used to love using the blues when I game. I loved the feeling it had when clicked. However, They are too loud, and many people tell me that they are too annoying.

I'll stick to browns switches from now on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube