add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Booting Problems

claudekenny234

16 months ago

[SYSTEM] Ryzen 5 1600 (w/ stock cooler) G. Skill Trident Z RGB Ram 8x2 kit 3000mhz Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 Inno 3D iChill GTX 770 *Seasonic G 650 80+ Gold

[ISSUE] Started having this problem the other week when I turned off my PC. Remembered that I had to download something overnight so when I tried turning it back again, only the RGB rams lit up while the rest of the components be it the fans or motherboard led strip don't move at all. I found that waiting for around 5-10 minutes while turning the system off whether it's turning off the PSU or unplugging it eventually allows me to boot it again.

2 days ago, I also noticed a burning smell after a day of gaming. I reasoned that it was probably one of the neighbors doing some grilling or some peeps burning some trash. However, I noticed the burning scent again yesterday when I tried booting my PC after it suddenly froze when I accidentally bumped my tower.

[TROUBLESHOOTING] After the 1st day of noticing the burning scent, I tried stress-testing my system for about an hour (GPU stress test through Heaven benchmark). I closed all my windows but also took out both side panels and the front panel to ensure that the burning scent was coming from the PC. No burning scent this time.

On the off chance that it may really be the PSU, I had an old AVR that was connected to the PSU about 2 years ago when I bought the SSD, Seasonic G650, and a loaned GTX 460. The AVR eventually died or was about to given the ghastly smell coming from it, probably from the power draw from the rig. Could the AVR dying have an effect on my PSU as well?

[CONCLUSION] Do you guys think it's the PSU or some other component like the ram or motherboard? Tech Yes City recently had a vid where he had the same problem about the booting issue but fixed it by replacing the ram. In my case though it doesn't explain the burning smell.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You're crazy, man. If I smelt something burning I'd immediately turn my PC off and just research. Maybe that's just me though? Anyway, I don't know why anything but the PSU would have a burning scent... Have you tried just unplugging the PSU from the rest of the system and turning it on? Like, testing it? If you smell the same scent while the PSU (by itself) is turned on, then there you go.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't worry I did turn it off immediately and search about it. I'm planning to RMA it soon but in the meantime, I've no choice to use it for light use such as browsing for work.

As for the unplugging and leaving it by itself, I haven't tried it yet. But the past few days I've used it without any load such as gaming, I haven't had any burning smells around.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Remove the PSU and give it a sniff test outside of the case. When a PSU or other electronic device burns they tend not to smell like burgers on the grill. If no stinky start sniffing other components. The nose knows, you could have a fan dying.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do this suggestion as well :) Although I did give it a wiff while it was inside the case, from the back and bottom since that's where the exhaust and intake are. Nothing so far :/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube