add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Win PC shutdown under Load

baconStrip

16 months ago

Dear All,

I run into the same problem currently under Windows: the system shuts down after a while of normal usage or idling. I am primarily using Ubuntu for ML reasons, and it run stable on Ubuntu. I just recently bought a second Evga 1080ti hybrid SC2 and wanted to test some Benchmarks on Windows, but the system crashes after 5 minutes or so. It seems to be a PSU problem to me but I do run a 1000W PSU and according to the power consumption calculated here at PCPartpicker I should be fine. I am awaiting a Power Meter which should clarify that issue, but it seems a little strange to me, and maybe somebody out there has some experience with it.

My current specs:

• Intel 7900x (non OC)
  • Corsair H100i
  • 32gb 3200Mhz ddr4 ram
  • MSI Carbon AC x299 MAtx (Newest Bios)
  • 2x Evga 1080ti hybrid SC2 (SLI)(Newest Drivers)
  • 2x 500GB M.2 Samsung NVME
  • 2TB Seagate HDD
  • 1000W EVGA Supernova

Thanks very much in advance

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Not sure if we have the exact same PSU but I was having a similar issue. I turned off the ECO option and problem went away. My PSU has a button you slide to turn ECO off.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, It has an economic button, I'll have to see what happens if I turn it off, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, indeed, Eco was working fine for me with one card, but eco mode was the cause for the system to crash on two cards. I don't understand why EVGA built in such a feature if it does not scale well on the promoted max wattage and causes the psu to overheat and the system to crash... In my case the psu is facing down but it has room to breathe, maybe therefore its causing issues, since it might be harder for it to pull air in Well thanks anyways, it was much cheaper and took less time than I expected... Thanks!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I was pretty upset about that too. I wanted to shove that ECO button up EVGA's ***. But later I was happy to see my issue gone.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

What are the temps of the system looking like?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, everything runs cool, Under win the CPU never exceeds 55°C and the Gpus run on 35°C max.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube