add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Frequent Blue (and sometimes Black!) screen of death

Instantiation
  • 16 months ago

Hi all,

I built this PC for gaming ~3 years ago. For some time now I think it's been getting a blue screen of death (or, rarely, but enough times to be alarming, just pure black and accompanied by a short loop of whatever sound was last playing until I reset the machine).

The bluescreen errors usually mention something about memory and/or page files.

I think the memory might be bad.

I've tried reseating the 2x8 RAM, and when I do this I very often get the "55" memory error on the motherboard.

I will mention that the Windows memory test diagnostic did not find anything (at default scan settings).

I think my next step is to try totally different memory. I'd like to stay with (no less than) 16 GB.

I see that the motherboard's memory type lists:

DDR3-1066 / 1333 / 1600 / 1866 / 2133 / 2400 / 2800 / 2933

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any particular suggestions?

Type Item
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Original part list

EDIT 23 October: After updating the graphics driver below, there were 15 days without issue, then black screen again.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Errors with memory doesn't just mean problems with your RAM necessarily, Windows also uses the drive your OS is installed to for the virtual memory/page-file so your issue may not be with your RAM

As for your system crash with black screen and sound the only time I've had that happen was due to a driver issue.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Good point.

I didn't mention this, but I switched to booting from a different drive. I do not think that solved the problem.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I've updated my display driver to a more recent (months, not days) build

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I would suggest turning off XMP and CPU overclocking (easiest way is to load the BIOS defaults).

See if the problem still happens. No? Then your overclocking became unstable. Time to adjust. :)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This is all while overclocking is disabled.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Hm. So you're not getting away the easy way (by adjusting OC settings).

Since you say it is not your overclocking as BIOS defaults produce the same problem, you have to find what's going on.

Try replacing parts one by one. Borrow some RAM from friends. See if the problem happens.

Do the same with motherboard, CPU, etc if you can.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube