add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
MeMePenguinBoi
  • 16 months ago

Hello, I just upgraded my CPU, MO/BO and RAM, and I had problems with my keyboard and mouse not working, I used a PS/2 (old) keyboard to reinstall windows. Now everything is messed up, my disk is formatted, the GUI is huge and my USB keyboard and mouse don't work. I haven't done software and BIOS things before, the last time I got it done for me, and now I'm ******** myself because I have no clue how to fix my problems, what BIOS edits do I have to do? Help!

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

my disk is formatted

is that a bad thing? Shouldn't it be formatted to use Windows?

the GUI is huge

Most likely it is because your resolution is low, when I built my PC it started off in 480p, but when I installed the GPU drivers it automatically went to my monitors resolution

keyboard and mouse don't work

Have you tried them in another system? Did you try use the old PS/2 keyboard from before?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

They work in other systems. The old one does not work if the pc is not restarted. +format ain't that bad, just was freaking out cause this is the first time I'm upgrading parts

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU and mobo upgrade

reinstalled windows

USB not working

By any chance are you trying to use a clean install of Windows 7 on a Ryzen/Coffee Lake system?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, why do you ask?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, that's the problem. Windows 7 isn't supported on new hardware. There are some ways of getting it sort of working, but you would have to start but customizing a Windows 7 image by slipstreaming in as many compatible drivers as you can find- including older USB 3 drivers and the like. There are probably guides out there on how to do this, but it is a fair bit of effort for an OS due to fall out of support in less than two years.

You might be able to install Windows 10 instead and call Microsoft, explain the situation, and see if they will upgrade your key. If not... It's Linux or shell out $100 for a full retail Windows 10 key.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I have pirated Win7, don't ask why. I'll try to get Win10 then. Cheers man!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try Linux, Valve has made some great strides in making Steam gaming on Linux better than ever. ;)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

you can download win10 directly from microsoft and install it unactivated. It will have a watermark on the desktop and won't let you change the personalization customization but other than that it works as normally until you activate it (no set expiry)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube