add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Xeon E3-1275 V2 for gaming? or go i7?

Summon3r

70 months ago

is this worth it for gaming? or would an i7 be better? i generally have alot of things running in the back ground and my i5-3470 doesnt seem to be cutting it these days.

my mobo is a MSI h61m-e33/w8

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

If you maybe get the e3-1230v2 then maybe yes. But for the price the i7 is better via overclocking.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont think OC'ing is an option with my mobo, and i realy dont know anything about OC'ing... i just need a high clock speed cpu for the game i play that is massively cpu intensive (MWOmercs. that wont be terribly affected by things running in the background.

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

A Xeon E3-1230 V2 will work similar to an i7 3770k (at the same clock speeds). It is not too expensive as well. Keep in mind, the only benefits you will be getting is Hyperthreading, specific Xeon benefits (don't know about them), and a more solid processor due to it being intended for server environments. Getting an SSD may also help your computer's responsiveness, I'm not sure if you mean they don't run very well or they are slow to open. Getting an SSD will fix the latter, and maybe the first if the hard drive is limiting the rest of your build.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i am speaking strictly in terms of FPS in MWOmercs which is very cpu intensive. i thouhgt i had read that a xeon was less $$ then an i7 but the 1275 v2 has a decent clock speed 3.5ghz

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

you dont need the 127(5) v2 as it has an iGPU and with a gaming rig i would imagine you are adding a graphics card of some type

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

yes i have a 660ti, which one would you recommend?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

as you can see in my builds i prefer the 1230v2, but i imagine a newer xeon would be fine

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but those arent gaming rigs by the looks of it?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

all it would take is a gaming gpu and BOOM

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

:)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I just ordered an E3-1230 V2. I wanted more rendering threads than my i5-3570K allows. Easiest solution was to swap it out for a 3770. More threads, plenty of game capability, right?

Then the 1230 V2 came to my attention. More threads, plenty of game capability, $75 cheaper. For a non-overclocker trying to equip an LGA 1155 socket, it's a great choice. Sure seems to be working out for you folks who've built with that CPU.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see any benefit to the E3-1275 V2 compared to say an i7-3770. The E3-1230 V2 that some folks mentioned has an advantage because of its significantly lower price compared to a 3770. The 1275 doesn't have that advantage. You're basically paying more for P-grade IGPU graphics, which might be an advantage in some cases, but not so much for a gamer.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

i would stick to i7 3770k should be great for running games and having other crap running in the back ground.Xeon processor i think is used mostly for server type stuff but can be used for gaming and work stuff also.I would stick to the i7 3770k will do all your work and games.WIth the exeon you would have to change out your motherboard also maybe ram also

• 70 months ago
  • -1 points

Why are people even offering their opinions about the i7 or Xeon E3? Those CPUs are quite frankly, overkill for just a gaming build. I'd advise an i5 4670 or i5 4570 for your non OCable motherboard. If you ever decide to upgrade your mobo to something like a Z87 chipset, getting a i5 4670k will last you a long time.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

those are not lga 1155 tho if memory serves. im pretty sure i have to use gen 3

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you should get a 3570k.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

He has the i5 3470 already. My question to the OP is, what are you running in the backround that is choking up your i5?

How much memory?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

to be honest im not sure what is choking up my cpu if anything, but the 3470 from what i am told is a middle of the road cpu, id like to move more towards higher end whether thats a 3570k or a 3770k?.... i think it is just the game itself MWO is just a crazy cpu hog and alot of players in the community have issues runing on max settings now a days unless they have top end cpu's

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube