add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Apple device for development

nostalgia2302

15 months ago

Okay, so now that I have my Windows PC, I’m looking to buy an Apple device so I can use Xcode to compile iOS apps.

Should I go for a Macbook Air/Macbook/Macbook Pro? And which one?

I’m looking for something that is decent is specs/price

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Do you need a laptop? If not, consider installing macOS on your PC. If you need a laptop then wait a little, there is probably going to be a cheaper MacBook launched this month based on rumours.

The current MacBook, MacBook Air and the lower end MacBook Pro are out of date. I don't recommend buying them until they are refreshed.

I bought a higher end 13" 2018 MacBook Pro but returned it. The price/performance ratio is really bad for high end Apple devices in my opinion. The 13" MBP isn't much more than a very expensive ultrabook. I wasn't even able to use a 4k monitor scaled at 150% for day to day usage without major stuttering.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Consider getting a refurbished MacBook/MacBook Pro, they're slightly older but over all just as good

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m looking for something that is decent is specs/price

When it comes to macs that is a theoretical impossibility.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

When it comes to macs that is a theoretical impossibility.

That is 100% the truth, but I know some apple fans who would denounce your statement entirely.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

And they are fanboys who don't listen to logic or reason. Not even worth my time.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, you're right about that.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Still doesn't stop Louis Rossman from trying lol.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

haha. It's a great thing that I'm buying a Macbook out of necessity and not fanboyism.

For the time being, until the 30th October Apple event and some months while I save up, I'll try renting a Mac in the Cloud, just to see how it would work out and if amateur/meaninful development can be done this way.

The advantage of having the physical Mac laptop is that I could test out apps on my iPhone 7, which can't be done on the cloud.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Lmao. I kinda agree on that.

But considering Microsoft Surface laptops are selling for the same prices, you get more worth out of the Apple device since you can buy the same PC with Windows for half the price.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

But considering Microsoft Surface laptops are selling for the same prices,

True. But I would never recommend those. Both have terrible pricing.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Apple is announcing new devices this October 30. All we have to do now is wait.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube