add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Scared to install PSU

Fgella21
  • 16 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cPfk8Y

I purchased all my parts and i am putting together my rig! I currently have the Mobo installed into the case and the CPU, Cooler, RAM and M.2 installed into the Motherboard. Im Terrified to start plugging in the PSU because i dont want to for lack of better words **** anything up. There are a few wires that came attached to the case and i just feel confused. Any guidance would be super dope. Though im sure there isnt much that could be given

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that feeling! I nearly ****** up an entire PC by having things plugged in wrong, but everything turned out well in the end. The PSU is, in truth, where everything could go irreparably wrong, but fortunately your build is both very simple, and very strong.

Phanteks cases usually come with RGB component cables pre-bound into a controller, single header, or single adapter. The Phanteks case manual should have everything very clearly identified. Most of the other cables, such as power, audio, front panel USBs, and so forth, will look like this which will be labeled for you to plug in. These case plugs will also be identified in a specific part of the manual for your Mobo, so you know where to plug them

The Mobo you have is a great choice, especially for RGB colorization options. The Mobo manual will have very very detailed instructions on what plugs into where, along with which set of pins belongs with which plug. You can find the manual in the box with the motherboard, or look online here.

Hard drives are pretty easy, as there's only 2 cables needed. One from the PSU to power the hard drive and another from the hard drive to the motherboard, which does the actual data transfer.

Your PSU should have each place to plug cables in clearly identified so you know what to plug into where. You can also always look online to find step-by-step guides on exactly how to plug in every component of your PC!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, everyone, who gave some tips and some guides! I Was able to successfully get my rig up and running! LET THE GAMING BEGIN! Feel free to let me know what you play and i can see you in the virtual world!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.pcinside.info/inside/inside-power-supplies/power-supply-cables-connectors/

democrachi has a very good post, here is another article on the subject. The main thing to keep in mind is the you should not be plugging anything into the PSU (with the exception of a modular PSU), you should be plugging the cables into other things. The only cables you really have to worry about are the 20+4 pin for the motherboard, the 4/8 pin for the CPU, SATA power for drives, and PCIe power for GPU. It is just a simple line it up and push until it clicks.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, everyone, who gave some tips and some guides! I Was able to successfully get my rig up and running! LET THE GAMING BEGIN! Feel free to let me know what you play and i can see you in the virtual world!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

My advice? Watch build guides on here and elsewhere and pay careful attention to the portion where they connect the cables.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I assume you mean the cables running from the case for the HDD activity light, reset, power, mic, headphones jacks and USB.

Most of the these are explained in the motherboard manual as to where to plug them, the only real caveat I can warn you of is to make sure the USB header is pinned out correctly for your motherboard. Usually most systems and cases will comply to a standard for the pinouts, but as I've learned in the past and just recently in the last year this isn't always the case. Specifically I had a motherboard with non-standard pinouts and had to change the wiring of the USB headers to suit, if I hadn't I would have stuffed up my USB devices I plugged in.

Honestly, if your that scared, take it to a PC shop and have them do it... if they break it they have to replace it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Carefully start plugging stuff in. If you are unsure about a wire, take a picture and post it here. Honestly, PC assembly these days is pretty straight forward. Once you do it and don't **** **** up you'll be like that was simple ****... Make sure you get the 8 pin CPU cable plugged in. It plugs in at the top to the left of the CPU and can be a real pain unless you have skinny fingers. That's the one most beginners forget.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I play GTA5 under same name. Let me know you're ready to de-lid that 8700k lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube