add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatible? Having issues booting

Silent05

16 months ago

I have an old system that I was wanting to upgrade the video card and give to my brother.

Motherboard is M5a99x evo

Old video card was Radeon hd6870

New video card is:

MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 Gaming GDRR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready CFX Graphics Card https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078Q78L93/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xM8XBbTCQZFXF

Problem I am having is I cannot get my computer to even post with the new card installed. Did I overlook something with the age of the motherboard?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the help everyone. I updated the bios this morning before work. When I got home I put the new card back in and she booted right up!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you getting any sort of beep codes? Is EVERYTHING seated properly (power cables, video cables, drives, etc.)? Did it work fine before swapping? If you put the old card back in does it go back to working? Can you boot with integrated graphics? Does his PC boot with the old card? What about the new card?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Pc boots and works fine with the old card. Everything is seated properly. I just noticed there is a red light that comes on right beside the pcie slot when I use the new card. I just booted up again with the old card and that light is not on. No integrated graphics on this motherboard unfortunately.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

It could be a PSU issue. The 580 might be more power hungry than the 6870. What PSU do you have?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a 520w power supply. Seasonic 80 plus bronze.

I just read a post online about switching the “tpu” switch to on, on the motherboard. I’ll give that a try as well.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be enough power, but go ahead and try swapping PSU if you have a spare.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually have a whole other system worth of parts coming tomorrow that I am putting together for myself. I will try that RX580 in this machine and see what happens. I am leaning towards a DOA card but we will find out tomorrow.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Also no beeps. Just that red light I noticed. The fan on the card does spin.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

How old is the PSU, just because it's rated to 520W doesn't mean it's doing that... PSU's degrade over time.

What version is your BIOS, maybe you need an update to recognize the newer hardware.

Have you tested the new GPU in another system to make sure it's not DOA!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer is somewhere around 5-7 years old now. I’d have to dig out the receipt but ncix doesn’t let you check order history anymore. I updated the bios this morning. Original date before update said 2011 and newest was 2013. I’m not to hopeful that’s going to update far enough but we will see tonight.

In the event I need to buy a new motherboard are there any suggestions as to what I could still run this phenom quad core with that has a better chance at running this card?

I know it’s really at the point where we should just build him a new computer but he has a young family so money is a little tight these days. (I bought the new card as a gift for him hoping to get him through for a while until we can build a proper system.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

If your PSU is that old I'd seriously doubt it'd be pushing enough to run that new card.

If your going to consider buying a new motherboard, get something newer and put a half way decent CPU in it, for around $200 you'd be surprised what you can get if you shop around.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube