add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help Wanted?

Vinnybob15

71 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cpHY Hi everyone. I'm building my first computer this summer. I'm wondering if I should keep the processor I have on my list or if should bump up to the i7 4770K but then I would have to get rid of the H100i. Would you recommend me doing that or just keep the 4670K with the H100i or getting the 4770K then buying the H100i later?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Usually new stuff is announced/released in June. Wait until then if you're building fresh :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know about any desktop GPUs coming?

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I know as much as everyone else does. That being said, they just recently released the 800M series GPUs for laptops and the 750/750 Ti (Maxwell architecture), so the desktop GPUs could possibly be coming soon.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I really hope so because it's kinda going to be for school. So I'll need to have it build by August.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

are you streaming or doing photo/video editing? if not no need for an i7

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No I'll just be gaming on it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

no need for an i7 then

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well since its only spring and Intel should be releasing some new refresh CPU's soon and maybe Broadwell later on. It might be best to build your computer closer to the summer then now. Plus the GTX 760 might be old news come summer as well with Maxwell.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good point. I'm starting to think that maybe I should push my build back a little further to see all these new parts soon to come.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I'd ditch the h100i and just get a h212 with a gtx 770. First time builder is probably first time overclocker. So if you plan to go after 4.6-4.8 maybe the h100i could be wroth it but 4.5 can be done with air.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

u can get 4.5ghz with an aftermarket air cooler? on a 4770k or 4670k?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Both

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

what about a 3570k? im trying to learn as much as I can about OC'ing for my next PC. sorry if im hijacking this thread!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man no problem. It's an open topic. Doesn't just have to be about me xD.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I have a 3570k and a h212 over clocked to 4.5 ghz. I never keep it at 4.5 since gaming really never needs it. I keep it at 4.2. But yes 4.5 can be done on air.

Today's cpus are fast and overclocking won't get you more fps but a better gpu will. That's why I'm saying ditch the h100 to get a better gpu.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

thx, pardon my ingnorance tho. h100i is what liquid cooling? h212 is a fan hyper evo?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

i5 would work great for gaming 4670 k and coolmaster hyper 212 evo with a extra fan.I was running a 3930 k on evo 212 at 4.4.I did switch later on to the swiftech h220.Graphics wise i would try to save for a 770 good all around card and you will better frame rates.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

if you are gaming the i5 4670k is perfect and i would look also at coolmaster glacier 240l it is expandable and built with swiftech and later you could cool you graphics card with it no problem.It is almost the same as the h220 swiftech had to take off or risk being sued

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rlg24l24pkr1

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooh that does look good. I'll look into that. Plus having it cool GPUs would be great.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube