add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI n770 4GB/OC vs MSI n780 3GB/OC

krypton11

71 months ago

Hi, can someone explain to me the pros and cons of these 2 cards and tell me what components are responsible for making a card better than another (pipe?memory?clockspeed?

I went on MSI website and did a comparison and the n770 actually has a faster clockspeed and memory 4GB vs 3GB. However I was checking the forums and people said the n780 will outperform on every aspect.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

The 780 will outperform any 770. You cant just look at clock speeds and ram to be defining line. The 780 uses a totally different architecture that is just faster than the 770.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Well said. It's like how modern four-cylinder cars have more horsepower than old eight-cylinders.

Also the 770's extra RAM will be useless on single-monitor setups because it will be running unplayably slow by the time it needs its third and fourth GB's.

• 71 months ago
  • 3 points

The gtx 770 4gb is just pointless period. Even the 780ti cant use the full 3gb at 4k resolution.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

speed and RAM don't matter as much as how many stream processors (NVidia calls these CUDA cores) the GPU core has and how big the memory bus is. the 770 has 1536 CUDA cores and a 256 bit memory bus. the 780 has 2304 CUDA cores and a 384 bit memory bus. The 780 is always the superior card, regardless of clock speed or memory amount.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

770 4gb is an odd duck card. Ive read several reviews where at 1080p gaming the 770 2gb outperforms it. So basically the 770 4gb is meant for sli, yet I'd still get a 780 over doing that.

• 71 months ago
  • 0 points

780 will beat it and if you can swing it 780 would be the card i get.I just bought a evga ftw 780 for 499 over on ncix usa

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube