add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Custom PC won't stay on

CleverPun
  • 16 months ago

When I power it up the CPU fan spins and an orange light on the motherboard is on. After a few seconds the light and fan turn off, then it turns on again and repeats the cycle until I cut the power supply.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Pull all cards including video. Pull the RAM. Unplug the SSD and anything else connected to the board. All you want is the PSU, fans, CPU and CPU cooler.

Turn the system on.

If the system repeats the issue in this state, replace the water cooler first and retry. I've seen processors and motherboards get replaced just to have it being a malfunctioning water cooler. If the error still repeats, it's either the CPU or the MB, and you can go with the least expensive piece of hardware first to replace so you can narrow it down.

Now if the system boots and give the no RAM code, power down, insert RAM, and power up. If it goes into the loop, it's the RAM.

If it gives the no Video code after the RAM is accepted, insert the video card. If it goes into the loop, it's the video card.

If it boots to bios and says no boot disk, power down, put the SDD back on, power up. If it goes into the loop, it's the SDD.

I think you get the idea at this point. Narrowing down hardware failure can be nerve racking, but the process is effective.

Good luck. I know how much it can suck to have a hard to find problem.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Part list?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel Core i5 8600k, Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler, Gigabyte B360M DS3H Micro ATX motherboard, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4, Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" SSD, MSI Radeon RX 580, EVGA SuperNova G3 750W PSU

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

What have you tried already?

For example:

• Swapping between the integrated graphics options and dedicated card
  • Reseating the RAM
  • Reseating the CPU
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there any labels next to the orange LED? It could indicate the error.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Let us know if you got it going and what the issue was. People learn from these threads if they are complete.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube