add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptop BSoDs before Windows loads

ACVoong
  • 16 months ago

I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop for 2 months, and recently out of the blue, it freezes on startup, in most cases giving me a BSoD without making any progress. It does this everytime before Windows loads.

The worst of it is that the bugcheck gives me either the two of the following: MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION and CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT.

The saving grace of this is that I can boot up to Safe Mode no problem. I have tried the following to no avail: - Tried to rollback to a previous version, nothing happened or seemed to work. - Tried performing a memtest in safe mode, doesnt detect any errors in the RAM.

Would performing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 be of any help? Or any other suggestions that could be of use to resolve this issue?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

... MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION ...

Bad news: Machine-check exception

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

That is sort of the news I would expect. Heheh..

Would an issue like this be eiligble for the laptop to be replaced under warranty? I have not performed any overclocking whatsoever on it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah I'd say

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Blue screens are almost always associated with bad RAM. If you wanted to be 100% sure the RAM was the issue you would have to manually swap the sticks one at a time to find the bad stick.

Make sure your drivers and Windows are up to date.

But if you have warranty then yeah let them worry about it. ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube