add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

8+4 pin CPU power connectors? How do I connect it to my PSU?

AdmiralSoup

15 months ago

Hello,

Thank you for taking time to read this. I just bought in my local Micro Center a MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (It was only $100 and bundled with 2700X which was also on sale for $270). Those are my first parts for my first ever build. I saw that this mobo has 8+4 pin power connector for CPU. I always thought there are only 8 pin because that what most PSU have. How do I connect it? I was planning on buying BitFenix - Whisper M 750W PSU which apparently has 2 x 4+4 pin CPU connectors. Will it work for me?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Just plug in the 8 pin and you will be fine. Or plug in a extra 4 pin for the hell of it if you want to. It does not need the extra 4 pin though, the motherboard would be up in flames/fried before you needed that much power for the CPU given how much power it could supply and how relatively weak the VRM system on that board is.

Why is it there if its not needed? Its cheap to implement and marketing so they can market it as a extreme overclocking board or whatever even though you would need to use some form of exotic cooling to actually need the extra cable but in that case why aren't you buying a better board.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so I don't need this extra 4 pin. That's good. I'm not planning on doing any crazy OC. I'm planning to use the stock cooler for 2700x and I don't want it to sound like vacuum cleaner so the OC will be very subtle. Now I know better. Thank you for your input.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube