add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
arianq
  • 15 months ago

Just a quick question, nothing too big but would help me So when I shut down my PC I can still charge my phone through the computer and such and I'm assuming it has to do with the power supply Should I turn off my PSU through the switch it has or is there no point? Just wondering if it would increase the lifespan of it Thanks

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean you can but there is no point. That is the 5VSB rail at work and hardly any load whatsoever is being put on the PSU No need to worry about the lifespan on the PSU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as turning off the PSU switch I don't think it is necessary but I have my system plugged into a surge protector and when I shut down I turn the surge protector off which cuts power to the PSU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube