add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Temperature Alarm before POST

RichardSHill
  • 15 months ago

Hello. My motherboard is a X399 Designare EX, CPU is Threadripper 1920X, and my cooler is a Corsair H80i. I do not overclock anything.

Under all circumstances when my computer is running, my temperatures seem fine. Idles between 27C and 30C, normal use only goes as high as 46C, and I've only ever had it go up to 67C during a CPU stress test.

When I turn the computer on for the first time at the start of the day, sometimes my motherboard temperature alarm will go off instantly for about a second. It never happens again if I shut the computer down and fire it back up to troubleshoot it. Going into the BIOS after it happens, I can see my temperature going down from about 37C to my idle temperature.

It happened mostly if I had the alarm set to 60C, but today it did it for the first time after having the alarm set at 80C for a couple weeks.

Should I be concerned about this / is there anything I should fix?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If my TR was hitting 60c/80c at startup I'd want to know why. I was only able to find one other thread noting this issue and it was not answered. And all I got out of it was replacing the thermal paste DID NOT fix it. Maybe some of our thread rippering friends might have some insight? I'd send an email to AMD support to see if they have some info. Good luck.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Just emailed them now. I have not messed with my thermal paste yet. I also wonder if there could be some kind of bug giving a false temperature reading? It doesn't really make sense to me that I only have high temps at start-up and never any other time. It is my first PC build, so I don't have much experience to go by.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd try updating the BIOS as a first step. It sounds like it's some freak thing with the motherboard or the CPU.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're confident your temperatures are good the rest of the time.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated the BIOS, and left the alarm set to 60C to give it every chance of screaming at me. It's been good now. Thank you.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, glad I could help!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The only time I had an alarm go off at boot for heat was for a stuck fan, check your cables and make sure there isn't any chance of intermittent obstruction

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube