add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Best" Z390 Motherboard

ThePickMan

12 months ago

I was dumb enough to buy a 9900k and now I need a motherboard for it. I know that there isn't really any "best" motherboard and it depends on what features you want, but I still want some direction. I can't seem to find any articles that say definitively one or the other is best.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master looks like a beast. its VRM is well designed and it surpasses pretty all but the highest of the motherboard models the Z390 platform has to offer. The looks isnt bad either and the motherboard includes a decent DAC for sound output as well as several connections for m.2 drives and decent spacing in case you want to SLI some of these new RTX cards.

It's a shame Asus went with a simple 4 phases design on the Maximus Hero for the Z390 platform as it runs much hotter than any other motherboards on the market around its price point.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

how is their bios tuning compared to asus, like user friendly aspect?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

There have not been enough reviews yet to start truly picking out the good and bad.

All we really can work off of is what has been reviewed.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Z370 boards work with the new processors

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes but most Z370 are chipset swaps from Z270 and all too many Z270 were only chipset swaps from Z170.

So you find way too many that are unsuitable for 6-core CPU let alone 8-core CPU having been developed for 4-core.

Z390 other then most of ASRocks line is being done with completely new designs built around handling 8-core CPU, and to get an idea on how the new designs handle the new higher core counts we need reviews.

And what reviews are out for Z390 are somewhat give and take on what you get.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Clasic assrock.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair MSI and Asus did reuse older power delivery on low end products but they are not the same as old.

Z390-p looks like the old Z370-A power delivery which was not bad.

MSI is reusing the old Tomahawk/SLI Plus for lower end models like the Pro/Gaming Plus, but again that wasn't a poor power delivery on Z370.

But ASRock you have 2-3 boards reusing the old Pro 4 which throttles under stock stress testing.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Given all that information, which mobo would fit well with 8600K/9600K in the 100-200€ range? I wanted to go with Z370/Z390 Extreme4, but reading this comments I'm not sure.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

But ASRock you have 2-3 boards reusing the old Pro 4 which throttles under stock stress testing.

Please tell me the Z390 Taichi is not one of them?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely not the Z390 Godlike, or any of Asus’ budget motherboards

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Does that include the Strix line-up?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

Unless you are dropping serious money for a Maximus XI Formula then it's not really worth going with Asus

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that board should be decent for an 8 core Intel processor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GPdxFT/gigabyte-z390-aorus-elite-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-elite

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

This one seems to have had solid reviews from all around the 'net. so i bought it for my build. haven't booted up yet tho.

MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend checking out Buildzoid on his YouTube channel Actually Hardcore Overclocking. He does very in-depth research on motherboard VRM's.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If ur going to be looking into high end z390 (what you probably should) your really have 4 options. Gigabyte Aorus master, msi meg ace, ASRock tachi ultimate, and the Asus Maximus xi hero. Of those they are all the same price, the gigabyte comes with a 12 phase design with really nice components, the msi and ASRock ones have a decent 8 phase, and the hero skimped for a 4 phase (too bad i already bought it). Go with one to match ur graphics card, preferably gigabyte, and definitely don’t go Asus.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The Taichi is a 5-phase V-core with doublers not a 8-phase.

https://youtu.be/anCraAHxJFk

And Gigabyte very arguably has better options cheaper then the Master surprisingly.

https://youtu.be/aVUON93T2j4

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The best mobo in the Eatx form factor is the MSI Godlike gaming or Asus Maximus XI Extreme but they are both hella expensive. The best Atx sized boards would have to be the MSI Ace, Asus Maximus XI Formula or the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. Hope this helps :D

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm Ok spending more for a mobo, but what are the real world tangible benefits of say the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master over the Asus Prime Z390-A (which I've ordered and is sitting by my desk) Is it just some theoretical difference? I'm not a gamer, but a photographer and will be using it for Lightroom. I would like to OC the 9700k but don't want to spend time manually doing so and would prefer OEM software to do that. Does the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master do that?

What does 12 phase digital VRM offer for my needs, so why should I care?

Some boards that I've been referred to here.

Here is my part list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $409.99 @ Newegg Business
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $84.43 @ Newegg
Thermal Compound Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1 g Thermal Paste $9.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $289.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $227.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Dual Video Card $289.99 @ Amazon
Case Nanoxia - Deep Silence 3 ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply Corsair - 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $147.00 @ OutletPC
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

higher end motherboards have more phases which is the section near the I/O ports. More vrms/phases means higher overclocks and in your case with photo editing you might as well cut back on the motherboards and get a better gpu or cpu. So basically something like the MSI Godlike Gaming has a ton of power phases meaning it could overclock the Cpu to 6.5Ghz.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

not much better cpu than the 9700. the 9900 is only a little faster and runs a lot hotter

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If you wanted you could save a lot of cash with an Ryzen 2700X. 8 Cores with an included Rgb Cpu Cooler. Intel is just making people pay for the brand.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Lightroom and Photoshop works better with higher clock speeds, and not more cores.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2018-CPU-Performance-AMD-Ryzen-2-vs-Intel-8th-Gen-1136/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube