add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Previously functioning new build now won't go to windows.

jamieirl

15 months ago

I recently completed the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $358.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $204.99 @ Walmart
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3466 Memory $199.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $147.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card $1200.00
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $102.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $103.85 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - XB321HK BMIPHZ 32.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor $699.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - Predator Z1 31.5" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor $549.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3737.66
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $3717.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-06 10:59 EST-0500

It was functioning beautifully for close to 3 weeks. Last night it randomly decided to lock up during a taxing gaming session and upon restart it would not go to windows. I tooled with it for a couple hours, tried following troubleshooting guides on youtube, and reset the bios to defaults. When the computer starts up I can access the bios, it recognizes that my SSD exist, but when it tries to boot it goes to trouble shooting and nothing that I attempt works. I had issues running Chkdsk since I couldn't run it as administrator so I'm going to give that another go as well. It will load, diagnose, try to repair, and then tell me that it wasn't able to repair.

Since the computer was running fine for nearly 3 weeks and I haven't made any changes at all (no updates, no new drivers, no new installs), it seems pretty clear that to me that this is a hardware issue. When I built the computer I decided that I didn't actually need my additional 2TB hard drive so I didn't install it. This computer is strictly for gaming and all of my games are on Steam, I typically only have 2 or 3 installed at a time, 375 of my 500gb was free on the SSD. The first thing that I'll do when I get home is install my other HD to see if my SSD is fried.

The SSD is located right underneath the 2080ti and the 2080ti runs very hot when I play Skyrim with 200 mods at 4k. The only thing that I've done differently in the last couple of days is actually play Skyrim for a significant amount of time. Previously I was just doing short sessions making sure that my mods were playing nice with one another. I've seen people online stating that it's possible that an m2 located directly under a hot running GPU which has dual exhaust blowing directly on it could get too hot, so that's what I'm currently leaning towards. My monitors are plugged into the GPU, and I am able to see the BIOS, so my amatuer thinking on this is that the GPU is fine. The memory is located fairly close to the GPU, not directly above it but close, so I suppose it could have overheated as well. My CPU has never gone above 40c, in fact it usually hovers right around 30 no matter what I'm doing.

I'm going to go to town on this thing when I get home, I just wanted to gather up as many thoughts on this as I could before I started. If all fails I'll take it to a PC repair shop, but I don't think that it'll come to that. Has anyone had any luck with PC repair shops? I read some reviews of a few in my area last night but the reviews all seemed fake, and with them charging by the hour it seems like it could add up.

Thanks for any responses. Apologies for the hastily poorly written mess, I'm currently at work and I actually do have work to do so I rushed this.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Sounds like your boot sector got damaged or the SSD itself. Also sounds like you tried to repair. Can't say I've ever seen windows repair actually repair anything. Since you said you can get into the bios the first thing I would do is make sure the M2 drive shows as a bootable drive and is positioned as the first drive in the boot sequence. If it is the only drive installed you should see windows managed something in the boot sequence and the drive directly under that if I remember correctly. If that doesn't help try re-installing Windows. If the installation fails plug in a storage drive and install windows on it. SSD should be under warranty. This would be too easy however lol. Good luck and report back what you find.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried moving around the boot manager and the SSD order but nothing helped. If I double click the boot manager within the bios it loads the motherboard loading screen but doesn't make it to Windows. If I double click the SSD in the bios nothing happens, with the exception of the blinking typing icon in the top left of the screen. The only way to get out of either of those scenarios is to manually reboot. I'll definitely give an update when I get home.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you tried to do a clean install of the OS? Doing so should isolate whether you're dealing with a hardware or a software failure.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

That said, NAND flash is supposed to like heat, and if your SSD is showing up in bios it's unlikely that the memory controller (which is more susceptible to heat damage) on it is dead. That puts odds pretty good at the issue being some kind of software fault.

Was there any kind of brownout or power outage that might have interrupted power mid-write? Any kind of sketchy software installed?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to manually restart because of a skyrim crash which i chocked up to being mod related. No power related issues, though. I haven't added any new software in at least a week. I'm glad to hear that you think it's not the SSD's fault, though now I have to actually figure it out!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually did try but it wouldn't let me, I forget what the error was but something along the lines of "windows can't install because...". I'll attempt that again when I get home and update. One thing that I failed to mention in my post is that I clicked the SSD directly in BIOS and it woudn't load from there either.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Try to install windows on your storage drive temporarily (if you have a 2nd computer I'd recommend using it to back up what's on there, first), then use windows disk utility to completely delete all partitions on the SSD. Once you've done that, disconnect the storage drive & try installing windows cleanly on the SSD.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

That'll be the first thing that I try after messing around with the bios and repair/restore utilties for a minute.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool - let us know how it goes!

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Last night I messed around with system reset and failed, I had another go at system repair options and failed, I tooled around with bios again and failed, and I had limited success with reinstalling windows. So it looks like my hard drive is okay, based on the fact that I was able to use it, so that's good. Upon entering windows after set-up, I began getting all of the updates and acquiring the latest driver for the gpu. The first thing that I noticed was that windows wasn't recognizing my monitors resolution options, I was using a 1440p monitor and my highest resolution option was 1080p. No biggy I figured, my monitor was listed as "generic etc..." so an easy fix presumably. Well I never got that far. After a couple restarts I decided to get the latest gpu driver, this was a requirement previously as many users were having trouble getting their computer to play nice with the 2080ti. The 2080ti wasn't listed in device manager (my hdmi WAS connected to the GPU, though) so I assumed that I needed to seek out the latest driver again. The latest driver is 416.34 which I think is newer than the driver that I installed a few weeks ago but I don't recall. Previously when I installed the gpu driver everything played nice with each other, no hiccups. The screen flashed during the installation but came back to life after a second and everything was fine. This time the screen flashed and never came back to life. At this point it was getting late so my trouble shooting for this was minimal. I did google and saw that other people had this issue but primarily with dual monitors, with one monitor working and the other not. So I hooked up my other monitor but still both were black screen.

Today I'm going to call a PC repair shop that I've picked out. If they can take it today and get it back to me in a reasonable amount of time at a reasonable price then I'm driving it over there directly after work. Otherwise I'll be spending more time troubleshooting this evening and beyond if needed.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted, thanks for your help. I'm still baffled by the fact that everything played nice with each other for 3 weeks then just went to poop out of nowhere. That's what lead me to believe that it was a hardware issue but now it's looking like my hard ware is good.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the update, glad to hear it's looking like the hardware is okay! Hope everything works out :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube