• No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ravetan 5 months ago

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the long post.

Topic: Upgrading current PC configuration

• Budget: upto 700 Euros (flexible if need be)

• Form Factor: mATX

• Use: Gaming at 1080p

• Peripherals required: None

• Operating System required: None

Current specs:

ASRock B85 DASH/OL R2.0 Motherboard (previously Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H-A Intel B85 mATX LGA1150 Motherboard)

Intel Haswell Core i5 4690 3.50Ghz 6MB LGA1150

Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9

Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" SATA3 6GB/s SSD

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB 6Gb/s SATA3

ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0

CoolerMaster VS-Series V550S 550W Modular Power Supply 80PLUS Gold

Corsair Obsidian Series 350D Micro ATX Case - Windowed

D-Link DWA-548 Wireless N300 PCIe Adapter

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

I purchased a new pre-built PC in 2005 with the above config. Since then I have moved to Germany and had my PC shipped by sea (bad idea even though I packed it the best I could). The graphics card had bent the PCIe slot out of shape and the PC would boot without detecting the discrete card. I proceeded to buy a cheap quick-fix mobo (ASRock B85 DASH/OL R2.0) and replaced the old one. Now the PC boots up, detecting the discrete card, but with fuzzy dots and stripes, which leads me to believe the graphics card is also bust. Hence, looking at an upgrade now.

I need a graphics card suggestion. Will I be absolutely fine with a GTX 1060 6GB (quite affordable at the moment), a GTX 1070 Ti 8GB (costs almost 150 Euros more) or maybe a GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (super cheap)? I would like to play the current gen games at max/ultra settings and be a bit future proof. Is there a significant, noticeable difference between them? I don't have much knowledge about the AMD cards. Will I be missing out on Nvidia features like PhysX (or more) if I switch to Radeon cards? Also, are the one-fan mini cards as good as their two/three-fan counterparts?

Keeping my case and hard drives intact, I would like to have a better mATX motherboard (my current ASRock board looks drab, has terrible port locations and the PCIe slot doesn't have a secure clip). The old Gigabyte B85M had nice click in slot for PCIe, just like in the RAM slots. I've spotted a few motherboards with onboard WiFi and would prefer one, as I'm not happy with the signal reception of the D-Link WiFi Adapter (currently sits directly underneath the graphics card fan). I understand motherboards, CPU and RAM need to be compatible with one another, which is where my knowledge fails.

With new CPU and RAM, I'm open to suggestions as to what combination of parts would work together. I see that AMD Ryzen CPUs are currently way cheaper than the Intels, but have no idea how to pick the right one at the right price for the right purpose. If we go Ryzen, then would an Nvidia card work? With RAM, I want to be up to date with atleast 16GB DDR4, but can't understand how to pick from the different frequencies.

With all of the above, would a 550W power supply still suffice, or would that need bumping up too? I will also be upgrading to Windows 10 for the build. Bonus points for cool-looking parts with LEDs (optional, not necessary).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Really appreciate any help with a parts/price list.

Cheers.

Comments Sorted by:

IndividualSOULS 1 point 5 months ago

You might have to buy a Windows 10 license.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor €179.00 @ Paradigit
Motherboard Asus - PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard €90.99 @ Paradigit
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory €107.95 @ Bytes At Work
Storage Crucial - BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For €0.00
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For €0.00
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card €270.95 @ Bytes At Work
Case Corsair - 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For €0.00
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply €69.99 @ Paradigit
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €718.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-07 16:35 CET+0100
ravetan submitter 1 point 5 months ago

Thanks for the build list. So it seems like AMD/Ryzen/Radeon is the way to go, definitely cheaper on prices. From what I've been browsing, Intel processors and Nvidia cards seem so expensive in comparison.

Few questions. Instead of the 8GB RAM above, could I go for the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 CL16. It's available for 120 Euros online in Germany. Will it still be compatible?

Also, would I be able to bump the graphics up to 8GB? A German online shop has an Asus Radeon RX580 Dual 8GB for 199 Euros. Strange how the 4GB card is sold for 270 Euros at the Belgian store in the list.

Finally, with these bumps, will 550W power still be sufficient?

ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 5 months ago

Yes, 550W should be fine

IndividualSOULS 1 point 5 months ago

Yes to all

Yuva_Boss 1 point 5 months ago

if you could provided the links to those prices we would be able to put otgether a build for you

ravetan submitter 1 point 5 months ago

Thanks for the answers.

The prices I'm referring to are from a German online retailer MindFactory.de. They seem to have daily/weekly specials (with a red lightning symbol), hence their prices fluctuate between 30-50 Euros per product from time to time. Their prices are much lower than other online retailers like Alternate.de and Media Markt.