add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

new GPU won't boot with all newly replaced hardware

iKumaneko
  • 15 months ago

Yo guys what's up. Before I begin I thought I'd inform you guys that I made a similar post on Tom's Hardware of a unique issue and never received a fix. In fact, they deleted my post. I've been traversing the internet for help and nothing seems to work, however a friend of mine who had the same build as I do currently told me it worked fine for them, therefore idk what more to troubleshoot.

Now that I've gotten that outta the way... let us begin. I'll split everything into categories so ya'll can skip or read everything. Up to you.

[ current specs ] - ASUS Sabertooth 990fx - EVGA 970 4GB FTW - AMD FX 8350 - Corsair CX750 & Corsair CX750M But the currently being used PSU is the non-modular one. - 4x4GB G.Skill Sniper

[ what I've tried ] - My motherboard has 4 color coded ram slots which is usually standard for most PCs. I've tried putting just 1x4GB stick in each slot individually as a new attempt to a fix. I've also tried putting 2x4GB sticks in 2 white slots and 2 brown slots respectively and both varieties ended with no new result.

• The 970GTX has 2x6-pin PCIE slots that you normally would insert from the PSU. I tried that and the dual fans on the card do not spin during boot. But they do spin for a few seconds after pressing the power button on the tower.

• I've tried both the standard and modular power supplies from Corsair. Both are brand new outta the box and aren't yielding me new results to why the GPU refuses to power up.

• I've tried using an EVGA 750ti 2GB SC which is the only GPU alternative I've tried with the current build and it works fine with both PSUs just to add proof that every component works. In fact, that's the only way I'll have a PC is with this GPU. Sadly. And I refuse to buy any other cards for the same reason as the 970.

• I've tried unplugging all unnecessary wires prior to boot as suggested from 3rd party sources. No results.

• I did some more research and it lead me to a button called memOK! That's on the motherboard. Apparently this button is good for resetting a few settings regarding ram to default. And I'm sure it does more than that or maybe I'm entirely wrong. I don't know and I don't care.

But in any event. No results to my issue with this button. And the DRAM_LED remains active.

• I've tried moving my PC to a different wall outlet setup in the event that the GPU simply isn't powering the card due to power distribution. But that's not the case and wouldn't make much sense because the older GPU runs just fine off the motherboard.

• I've tried resetting bios using the battery that comes with the motherboard. I was recommended to take it out and put it back into place within 30 to 60 seconds. While the PC has no electrical charge throughout the system.

• I've tried taking apart the PC entirely up to where it's an empty case. And reinstalled everything again. I've also had another person do the same concept in the event I did something wrong or lacked knowledge. Same result. No results at all.

[ what I'm about to do ]

• I've decided that this GPU and the PC as a whole is a complete waste of time. Nothing is getting done and nothing is getting fixed.

What I'm about to do is just pop the 750ti back into the PC and call it a day. Perhaps somewhere down the road I will just invest in a new PC and build ot from scratch rather than buy it prebuilt with upgrades added. Etc.

If you guys have any tips or tricks. Any unique fixes that will actually help and not waste any more time I'd appreciate it. Also if you require picture proof or a video on the PC, I'll work on those as soon as I can. (Pictures sooner than video)

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thé fans are not supposed to keep spinning i have a GeForce GTX1060 it is a fan stop thing by nividia

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure that's normal? Cause the fans spin on the 750ti just fine. How else is the GPU going to get cooled if the fans aren't spinning?

Can anyone else confirm this?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The gpu has a feature called fan stop, where it stops the fans from spinning when the gpu is under a certain temperature.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

But my 970 GPU doesn't spin at all. I dont think my GPU reaches hot or cold not even moderate temperatures considering it's not even getting to be used by the PC.

I turn my PC on and the fans jiggle for like 3 seconds and never ever spin again. I have no initial display on my monitor(s). And I've tried swapping out multiple sets of wires.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the PC work with the 750 ti?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the PC works with the 750 ti GPU.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, so that solves any of my delusions that EVGA has it out for me. When really it's just lack of knowledge to 'newer' GPUs.

I still cannot get a display on initial boot either way. If the GPU was made to run this way, even with the fact that after i press the power button on my pc the first thing that happens is a beep and then GPU fans spin once, i don't have any consistent proof that this GPU is capable of working at all with my PC unless i f-ed something else up somewhere down the line.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Put the new GPU in your friends PC and see if it works there.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If it was faulty, it never would've worked before. I don't understand how an item can go bad from a few uses, packed back inside its own packaging, and left to the side as a brand new stocked up GPU at your local Best Buy to a card that's entirely bricked by the time I receive it.

Either I have horrible luck, or my hardware is all basically f-ed. In any case, if there's no solution to troubleshooting besides bringing it to a friend's house, i'm gonna pull the plug.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I see and I understand entirely. I'll see if I can get my friend to send me a receipt for an rma at EVGA.

Now, a bit off topic before this topic is entirely closed. Maybe you can solve this issue for me. I contacted Microsoft for some help and I ended up with 4 clueless representatives that couldn't help me solve this issue. I currently have Windows 10 Home Edition 64-Bit.

According to: http://prntscr.com/lmyhki

My RAM is capped at 4GB's where only 3.95GB's is usable. When I go through the process in msconfig to unlock the maximum memory, where I'm then prompted to restart my PC, the changes do not save, and I'm still capped at 4GB's of usable RAM.

I have all 4 sticks inside my motherboard. They're 4x4GB G.Skill Sniper RAM cards. They work fine and so do the slots. To confirm, I had Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate awhile back and using the same process in msconfig, I was actually successfully able to unlock the maximum memory.

But ever since I converted to Windows 10, and prior to the upgrade of OS, I had some issues in Windows 7 that led me to revert a lot of crap and the OS never ever let me unlock the maximum memory ever again.

Just for the record I tried safe mode, I tried editing registry files (nothing crazy, just what I researched on the internet that didn't affect the OS in a negative way), I tried a boat load of crap in CMD prompt, and I tried only 4GB's of RAM, up to 8, then 12, and finally 16GB's respectively and with each attempt of memory I tried different slots as well (total of 12 different combinations out of 4 slots for each variation of RAM ~ 4GB - 4 different slots, 8GB - 4 different slots, 12GB - 4 different slots, 16GB - all 4 slots used).

In any event, not even Microsoft could help me. And I guess everyone else on the internet is capable of unlocking their maximum memory with no issues. I assure you after the restart it doesn't show the changes in effect, even if I enable the "make all settings permanent" option.

I really need some help with this cause the performance on my machine is greatly affected by this. Windows 10 is a bit of a heavy OS in most cases, 4GB's of RAM is used just to run the machine in idle (lol). Here's some screenshots:

http://prntscr.com/lmyhyi

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 64 bit should automatically work with 16 gb of ram without doing anything.

[comment deleted]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Man, you're incredibly helpful. Way better than microsoft reps any day.

It was indeed a fresh installation of Windows. In fact, it was a clean install because I went into the old windows folder to copy and paste a few folders over before recycling it entirely. Specifically to save myself the trouble of re-downloading loads of crap which would otherwise take a day or two to download; I saved myself the time frame and allowed multiple programs to just check that all the files are there and up-to-date, etc.

In any case, I have an outdated version of BIOS. With the Asus 970 Sabertooth Motherboard you get an old version of BIOS which I think is like Version 2 or somethin' like that. Well, don't quote me on that, but I know for a fact there's a newer version of BIOS that I could have, I just don't understand the concept of flashing.

I also don't know what's a good program for reading .rom files, considering i tried releasing an archive using .7zip (alternative to WinRAR), and it didn't seem to work.

Any useful links to a guide on flashing for this particular motherboard would be incredibly helpful or maybe even a break it down to simplicity guide in your own words would greatly be appreciated!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube