add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choosing a mobo

dijla
  • 75 months ago

Dear PCPartPicker community,

I am building my first pc and I'm in need of some advice.

Why do I want to build a pc?

• I am tired of my laptop (G74SX). During the 2 years that I got it, I had more days with issues than without.
  • It made me sad to see my roommate's pc graphics look much better even though it was cheaper.
  • I recently graduated, started working, and have a lot of free time.

What am I going to use it for?

Gaming. Mostly MMO's, RPG's and Dota, and also shooters every now and then.

What is my budget?

I already prepared $2500 excluding monitors/accessories.

Do I live inside the U.S?

No, but I have friends who do and are willing to help me ship the parts through Aramex.

When am I going to build it?

I am waiting for 790 to be released before I purchase the parts. So hopefully somewhere next month.

What do I want from this thread?

I want your advice, especially about the PSU and motherboard, but also about the build in general.

What is my current build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dijla/saved/46kG

I appreciate and value your advice.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

It looks pretty solid. I don't know the high-end motherboards, but I gather the Sabertooth has a pretty good reputation.

The PSU is a top-tier brand and model according to the internet. When you finalize your list, you might want to re-visit the size, make sure you get the best match for your system.

You could switch to an i5-4670K, unless you need the extra processing threads. Save a little money without sacrificing performance.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. I was considering the i5-4670k as well, but I want this rig to last me a while so I decided to go with the i7-4470k.

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points
  • Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R: Overpriced. Plenty of others costing less available. e.g. G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GAR
  • Cooler Master RSA00-AFBAG1-US: Nice power supply, oem is Seasonic. With that said, for cost cutting, check whether you actually need a 1000w, click HERE
  • 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I chose 1000W is because I intend to add another video card SLI in the future. Thanks for the link though, once I finalize the build I will use it to check.

As for the RAM, I will use the one you suggested.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

To follow up on the topic of power usage, do you think its better to get the 4820k instead the 4470k if I'm getting a 1000W PSU? Will it have any performance edge?

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

For a review of the Core i7 4820K, click HERE

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube