add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help getting new build booting

tbitar

15 months ago

i just built my new desktop. I turned it on but nothing happened. I doubled and tripled check all components and everything looks good. all components are compatible according to PcPartPicker. the system is getting power where fans are on video card light is on but nothing on the screen. i was able to get some flashing verbiage on the screen, Gigabyte, but that is about it. as far as i know, when you turn the new system for the first time you should hear some clicking and some kind of sound. after that you get the cpu setup screen. well, this system didn't click and didn't give any sound at all. I took all the components out and started all over again to make sure everything was seated right. still nothing. I was wondering if any of you of have any ideas or recommendations to try. I am at the point of repacking everything and send back.

Thanks for your help

here is the list of the Components

CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Rosewill - RCX-Z300 CPU Cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte - H310M A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Turbo OC Video Card Case Rosewill - R536-BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/500 W Power Supply

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you have all the power cables installed including the 8-pin CPU (EPS) connector? because this sort of sounds like the CPU not getting correct power.

Pull the memory and re-install. If that does nothing, try each stick individually, at each of the motherboard slots, to see if you can get it to boot.

I'd also pull out the GPU and use the motherboard (i.e. CPU) video to eliminate the GPU as the source of the problem.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually when diagnosing parts I try to isolate the part thats causing the proble,. Take out one component at a time and try to boot, record what happens and post it here. This does seem to be a CPU issue power or otherwise. That PSU does seem a little under powered for a 1080 and a 8700K but I dont know if thats the issue.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Check your connections for the front IO panel. Use the manual and make sure you have all the wire polarities correct. Polarities probably aren't critical but its good have this 100% since you don't have a start button on the motherboard. Your PSU might be a little under powered but you should get a post at the very least.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube