add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC keeps freezing when NOT under stress

Flapdesappels
  • 15 months ago

Hello,

I have a peculiar freezing problem: my recently build PC keeps freezing while under little load. Meanwhile, when I am doing heavy gaming, it never freezes.

This problem popped up about 2 weeks after I build my pc and it keeps occurring more frequently ever since (at first it was a couple of times a week, now after a month it is multiple times per hour. when it freezes I have to shut down PC with power button).

Basicly, the less my pc is doing, the quicker it freezes:

When gaming, the PC never freezes. While browsing or viewing a movie, my PC freezes after about 10 minutes (time can vary widely) When in BIOS (which I think puts the least stress on the PC), the PC sometimes freezes after less than a minute.

Right now as an intermediate solution I always have a game running in the background to prevent the system from crashing.

Considering the problem is progressive (the time I have until freezing keeps shortening), and the problem happens in BIOS as well, I suspect it is a hardware problem. Even when all storage (including OS) is disconnected the freezing still happens in bios. However, I dont have the money or spare parts to switch and test them out separately. I have used each of my 2 ram sticks seperately as well and that doesn't make a difference. Temperatures are always in a good range (while under load GPU: 70° and CPU 60°, while not under load (and freezing) temperatures are around 35°

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and a way to test it/fix it?

This is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Flapdesappels/saved/sy7nHx

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright.

Did you change any power management settings? Disabled SpeedStep? Changed windows power management settings (minimum frequency should be 5%)? Try flashing the BIOS if you changed something.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your answer!

I didn't change any power settings or speedstep (I believe speedstep is only available for intel CPU or am i wrong?).

I did update (and reset) the bios after the freezing started occurring but that hasn't changed anything.

The freezing happens even when I disconnect all storage (so without operating system, just bios), can it still have anything to do with windows settings then?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your mobo. Then, try disabling C6 sleep state, and find the power supply idle control and set it to typical current idle. I've seen these more as linux issues but they are worth a try for you as well.

Try removing all the power supply cabling and reseating it all.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for answering! I have updated the bios to the latest version but this didn't help. I have also reconnected all cables but unfortunately it didn't help :(

I will try to disable C6 and find idle control, however since my pc freezes really quickly in bios (from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes) it is really difficult to find and adjust settings.

What do you think are the chances of hardware malfunction? And, since the problems keeps occurring more frequently, could the freezing cause damage?

Since the freezing does not occur when under serious load (AAA games), do you know of a way to test which component needs to be under stress for the system not to crash (and therefore, which component will crash when idle)? e.g. are there programs that lets CPU/GPU/memory/PSU seperataly run at high load for hours on end?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If it was OK and is now getting worse, that does sound like hardware, and I'd be suspicious of the PSU first, then maybe motherboard or CPU. prime95 is a good CPU stress and I'm sure google would find you good GPU stress tests.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you are freezing in the bios I would agree with you that it is a hardware issue. You updated the bios, traded ram slots and temps appear to be normal. Try different memory to eliminate it as the cause. Get some ram from Best Buy, assuming you live in the US that is, so you can return it if symptoms continue. Borrow money from your parents, tell them its for a good cause. With the ram eliminated its a toss up between MB and CPU. The motherboard has a lot more that can go wrong and symptoms are unusual so I'd guess MB to be the problem. Good luck and report back what you find.

Edit. When diagnosing make sure you have no USB drives installed.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: so far nothing has worked. However, today I noticed a massive problem which problably went on longer but i never noticed because my whole setup is on a carpet (chair, pc, table): My computer case is permanently under a current. When I happened to touch something grounded while touching my pc i noticed a constant shocking. I went around feeling my pc and everything on the MB is under current, while the power supply itself does not shock me. This happens even when the power supply it turned off (on 0), off course when I pull out the cable nothing is under current anymore.

Is it then the MB or power supply which is a problem? Or could it be the case itself?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

If you don't have a multimeter you can get a $5 gadget that verifies proper outlet grounding. If your outlet is OK I'd replace the PSU assuming you haven't done that already. You have a serious issue going on and I wouldn't dawdle getting it fixed.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you need a better ground at your receptacle. Is your house grounded or do you have an older home with only 2 wires?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube