add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I really like this MOBO, but can it ACTUALLY overclock?

_JDS4_

15 months ago

I am going with an i9 9900k processor, and I really like the asus prime z390-a . My question is will it be able to get to 5Ghz on all 8 cores? Or do I need to go with a different option? I have the Kraken x72 as my cooler.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

No, asus cheaped out on the vrms for there z390 motherboards.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you give me a source of the asus prime z390 mobo having sucky vrms? Ik some of the current asus mobos do have mediocre vrms but Im not sure on this one.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The prime uses the same vrm as the strix motherboards which are only 4 phase

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

So. Current generation CPUs don't uses as much power as in the past. Even when overclocking. You don't need a hefty as VRMs as you once did.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

um no, this video explains why the vrm is crap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It tells us why the ASUS Maximus XI Hero has crap vrms for its class.

He doesn't say anything about the Asus Prime z390-a at all so you still need to give a specific source of the Asus Prime Z390-a having bad vrms.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty sure the i9 9900k is a little bit of a power hungry cpu thou.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It is still not that power hungry.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your budget for a motherboard?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

$230

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/cHZFf7/gigabyte-z390-ud-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-ud I suggest this motherboard because it can handle an i9 9900k at full turbo with out the vrms crapping out.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You might get to 5Ghz on all 8 core but your temps will be uncomfortably high no matter what MB you get. Do some research on the 9900k before plopping down the cash. Due to the fact that everyone insisted on Intel to solder the IHS they did things to the core that make overclocking it less than ideal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube