add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving Windows from my HDD to a new SSD

hnofchri
  • 18 months ago

I recently bought an SSD for my system and I'd like to move the operating system over. Although, after a bit of research, I am just confused. How would I go about moving the operating system? If I were to completely reinstall windows, how would I activate it?(I originally installed used an CD, not sure if it was OEM, and I no longer have the CD)

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

To identify Windows version,

Open the Command Prompt,
Type: slmgr -dli
Then press Enter key.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Name:Windows(R), Professional Edition

Description: Windows(R) Operating System, Retail Channel

License Status; Licensed

Does this mean I have the professional edition of Windows? I still don't if it is OEM or not too

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

... Retail Channel

That is full retail version.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So I could use this copy of Windows on another Computer since it is not tied to the motherboard?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

It is transferable.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Just go into settings, and system info or something you’ll see the CPU and RAM, and then the windows activation key. Just write that down in case it fails, get a windows 10 pro installer, and enter that activation key. Additionally you can use a drive tool to copy your HDD to the SSD, and see if it boots. May or may not work.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try using a cloning tool to transfer your operating system to your SSD, there are a bunch of paid and free ones.
If you want to take the plunge at your own risk you can try CloneZilla, https://clonezilla.org/

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I recently did this and, to be honest, am still kind of confused on the topic. I linked my windows to my Microsoft account and then reinstalled windows and signed in. It was automatically verified. I'm told this works for switching motherboards as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube