add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hot new build temps

glassjawed

15 months ago

I just finished my first build it is an itx. Not overclocked at all. I ran benchmark tests on it and the temps are pretty high, especially the vrm is outrageously high at idle. I couldn't run the stress test on AIDA64 for 5 minutes before the cpu hit 93 and I shut it down. however the vrm actually cooled down from 107 to 103 during the stress test strangely. Below are the parts, however, I didn't have space for the fans in the case so right now the only fans are the cpu cooler and the stock fans that come with the psu and gpu however the psu fan mostly doesn't run at idle. Is the problem that my airflow is messed up and I need to figure out how to get the 80 fan as an intake? Or is there perhaps some issue with the motherboard or how the cpu cooler is connected to it? I upped the cpu fan to performance settings in bios. I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor $176.88 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler $49.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB OC Low Profile Video Card $159.99 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone - ML09B HTPC Case $81.01 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply $85.53 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan $13.95 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua - NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM 31.37 CFM 80mm Fan $9.95 @ Amazon
Keyboard Redragon - Karura K502 Wired Gaming Keyboard $23.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $919.17
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $899.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-24 16:26 EST-0500

AIDA64 idle temp report: Temperatures: Motherboard 46 °C (115 °F) CPU 59 °C (138 °F) CPU Diode 40 °C (104 °F) VRM 106 °C (223 °F) GPU Diode 35 °C (95 °F)

The full AIDA64 report is here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kKe6LfrN5n6a-VtVmwtgReCQG72o0BPd/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Double check the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 installation.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Specifically what, too much or not enough thermal paste?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure it isnt loose. If it isnt seated good it wont pull heat out of the cpu correctly. For VRMS and probably the CPU as well if you have no intake fans your airflow will be terrible. Try some slim fans if you don't have much room to work with for intake.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I took off the cooler and reinstalled it, there doesn't seem to be an issue there. The vrm is still running over 100 at idle. Could it just be airflow or is there possibly a problem with the mobo?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

On a stress test with Aida now where it runs the cpu at 100, the vrm stayed at 108 but the cpu shot up to 94 after 1 minute, cpu diode up to 73

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Its probably airflow in the case. If the VRMs aren't getting any air they will run hot.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube