add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My computer won't detect a second monitor!!

Aaaduhline

14 months ago

So recently I've been struggling to get a second monitor to work. I initially tried to hook up a small hd tv and my laptop about a month ago, both of which didn't have a signal, and I thought "oh I'm doing something wrong, I'll get back to it later, it's not that big of a deal." But I recently received an old used pen display tablet (the UGEE 1910b) and when I hooked everything up correctly, it's still not receiving a signal!! I've tried switching out the cords and updating and reinstalling my graphics driver, both of which did nothing. I don't know a lot about computers, but some sources online say that it could be an issue with my video card (I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB) and that I should get a new one. I'm hoping that I can get this issue resolved without spending 200 dollars on a new video card though. Any ideas on why this problem is occurring and/or how to fix it?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so I'm not sure I understand:

Are you attempting to use the monitor with a laptop, a tablet, a desktop or all three?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now my first monitor is just a desktop, but I'm trying to use a tablet as a second monitor.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Are you connecting the VGA cable that comes with the tablet to your motherboard or to your GPU? Very few 1060s have a VGA out anymore, so are you using some kind of adapter to connect it to your tablet? If so, have you been able to test the adapter with a known-good monitor/computer combo?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually I've been trying to connect the VGA to my computer monitor, since that was the only place I could find to put it

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Your computer monitor won’t daisy-chain the video output (though if I’m a monitor manufacturer, I’m working on that cuz it’s a good idea) - I recommend getting an adapter from one of your GPU outs to VGA

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay thank you!! I'll try that and let you know the result as soon as i can

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you so much for the advice! My tablet now works perfectly (besides the fact that I have to buy a new pen haha) So yeah it was the fact that my video card didn't support VGA, so I ended up buying a VGA to HDMI adapter and it's working! Again, thank you! :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube