add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The Retention Bracket for My CPU Cooler Won't Fit The Standoffs (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)

Reskov

14 months ago

Hi, so I have an issue with the CPU Cooler that I recently bought. The Retention Bracket (when attached to the Heatsink) won't fit the stand-offs that I attached to my motherboard using the backplate. Whenever I put one screw into a standoff, the opposite side gets raised into the air. This is only a problem when I have the bracket attached to the hole at the bottom of the Heatsink.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/403208059067039744/516795730904481806/image0.jpg?width=568&height=426

I once tried putting the screws in from opposite sides (bottom right and top left), but I run into the same problem. I don't want to force the raised side into the motherboard because it might damage my CPU. I'm starting to think that my cooler is too tall for the motherboard I have, but I want to look for a possible solution so I don't have to buy a brand new cooler. Please answer as soon as you can! I'll take all the help I can get.

Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Try only threading in one screw on each opposite corner (screw enough to where it holds) and DO NOT BE AFRIAD TO USE FORCE. The cooler is SUPPOSED to be snug on the processor (not too snug to strip the screws lol) to have good thermal contact and dissipation. When you're pushing on that screw to get it to go in, you won't damage anything. It's normal to need to use a bit of force.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube