add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sudden Restarts While Gaming

Tytanyx
  • 15 months ago

I've encountered a similar issue before and have actually discussed it here on these forums here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/297247-random-shutdowns-possible-overheating

For a few days, I thought I had fixed the problem by getting a new cooler (A Cryorig H7 instead of my Corsair AIO). My temperatures seemed fine and while it is a little louder than my old AIO cooler, it seemed to get the job done. After a while though, I noticed these shutdowns had been happening again. One example was in Final Fantasy XV where completing one step of one of the quests I was doing would cause a crash no matter how long I take to get to that part. I initially thought maybe recent FFXV updates had broken the port on my system. However, I did notice that it happened again while playing Monster Hunter World where after completing a mission and going into the mission summary log, it would shutdown and restart my PC. It also happened after about 2 hours of FFXIV Online (I was streaming during this one).

I decided to look beyond the CPU cooler and check my GPU temperatures this time and that also shows no abnormalities with the temperatures. The fans work when it's under load as expected and the temperatures are around 75C at most with the games I play. I was told my PSU might also be an issue, but considering this only happens while gaming, I am not too sure that's the case.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Hate to say this but it may be the CPU. If for some reason your previous AIO install was not proper (not secured, not enough or too much compound, AIO fans not plugged in the CPU headers) your CPU may have overheated just enough to be unstable... Happened to me and the simptoms were exactly what you describe.

Changing the AIO solved nothing for me... only after putting a new CPU did the issue resolve itself automagically.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm wondering if that's the case myself. I didn't have any issues with the install and I monitored temperatures for a few days with the AIO and it seemed fine then and even after the shutdowns began. Might swap my PSU first just to be sure.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It certainly is a wise choice.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I was told my PSU might also be an issue, but considering this only happens while gaming, I am not too sure that's the case.<

This is exactly when your PSU would cause the problem. Gaming puts more demand on the PSU and when it can't deliver the needed juice your system crashes.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I would change PSU first but if even after a PSU replacement it still happens it looks like a CPU issue to me.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately that is how the troubleshooting game is played. Obviously it would be better to swap parts over purchasing new ones but not everyone can do that. From what you are saying it sounds to me to be a PSU problem. I would think if a CPU goes bad it just wouldn't work at all. I could be wrong but it just hasn't been my experience. Good luck and report back what you find.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

A bad PSU is the problem 85-90% sure. When the power drops or spikes ur CPU is shutting everything off to save the PC. This is my theory, I'd replace the PSU for sure as a first step.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube