add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC turns off when case is tapped

Devun41
  • 15 months ago

Alright so if I drop something on my PC while its running (phone, wallet, mic) it automatically turns off. Im thinking either a cord is lose or the psu is messed up. UPS dropped my pc and sent it thru my friends parents work and UPS gave the company the money so I dont have it yet and im wondering if that messed up the psu (there was glass inside of it since a panel shattered).

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say it's more likely to be the case power or reset switches. Try jumpering the motherboard power switch pins so that the computer is on, then tap the case to see if it still glitches out.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

it doesnt reset it just turns off

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

did you custom build it like a desktop pc or is this a laptop your talking about.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

custom

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well bottom line- Desktops should never ever be dropped, they have no drop protection built in to them at all.

That said, I would suggest its the PSU, but frankly UPS should declare the shipment broken and give a full refund on the item.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You might also check the MB for damage as well. Make sure no reset switch pins have been damaged.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You may have a standoff installed incorrectly that is causing a motherboard bridge whenever there is movement.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Im upgrading it today and noticed thats somehow only one screw was holding the board down which may have been why

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

well lets hope that was the problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube