add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M2 slot on b450f- gaming

Akmalbek
  • 15 months ago

I have the Asus b450F- gaming motherboard, and it has 2 m2 slots. I had bought the 1Tb 860 evo series and when plugged into the m2 slot under the cpu - I'm getting a message that says "reboot and select proper boot device". On the 2nd m2 slot my bios opens up, but it doesn't recognize the m2 Samsung ssd.

It's my first build so I don't know what the problem is. C9uld the motherboard be dead or the ssd?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You likely need to set the BIOS to boot on the M.2 device... I can`t recall the exact page or term but you must change a setting in the BIOS under boot devices.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

i mean, boot device is empty, thats why im saying it wont recognize the m2 device

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Right. So you need to put the M.2 in the proper socket (usually the top one) and set the UEFI to your SSD name for boot. That should resolve your issue.

Age prevents me from remembering what the correct setting is but you will be in the right ballpark ...

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you install your operating system on the M2 drive when installed in the slot under the CPU? Deal with that first then we can discuss the 2nd M2 slot.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

??? how if the monitor doesnt even boot and says "reboot and select proper boot device"

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what happens when you don't have an operating system installed or first device is not set correctly. Assuming you will be installing Windows 10 you can download it here, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You will need a USB flash drive for the installation files. After flash drive is ready go to your bios and select the flash drive as the first boot device. Reboot PC and you will boot from flash drive and at that point you select the m2 drive to install Windows on. After installation remove flash drive or set M2 drive as first boot device in the bios.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube