• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Timetrapper 3 months ago

Ok superbiiz sent me a bent up mugen 5 rev. B that i sent back but now they told me they are out of stock and can only refund my money not including the 15$ i spent on return shipping. Well anyways does anyone recommend an air cooler that would do well in the below build in the 50$ to 65$ dollar price range? Thanks for any help and advice on a new option!

Side note: if u feel like i should spend more than 65$ cuz my build has alot of expensive parts and my cooler budget should increase im down for that as well, so let me know ur thoughts please

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $254.39
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $52.99
Motherboard MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $218.99
Memory G.Skill - Sniper X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased For $137.99
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 960 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $208.99
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB DUKE OC Video Card Purchased For $705.00
Case Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $55.37
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $79.99
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Noctua - NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased For $13.90
Monitor Dell - AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor Purchased For $920.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2647.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 15:39 EST-0500

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 2 points 3 months ago

One of those coolers would be this below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B8rcCJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-legrandmachort

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKJ21LW/?tag=pcpapi-20

The only disadvantage could be, that this particular cooler is a bit taller than the Mugen 5.

But it would fit inside your Case nevertheless. (with only 3mm to spare)

Lastly, the price is pretty good for the performance potential of that cooler. :)

Timetrapper submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Just saw pics of both, im scared . but looking further it seems like the mainstream air coolers have tiny heat sinks half the size of this thing and the mugen 5. Guess its all about marketing. A lot of the top air cooler lists im reading are all noctua and cooler master etc but their are tiny and the 2 fans make em look bigger than they actually are

mark5916 2 points 3 months ago

I can't vouch about the Cooler Master air coolers (some of those should be pretty decent), but Noctua makes the best air coolers as quality and performance concern, by far to be honest.

But Noctua demands an arm and a leg for some of their Air coolers. lol

And if you overlook that high price, they are using that nasty looking brown color on their fans, that doesn't match with almost anything inside the Case...mostly.

i know right. they are brown......bleh. also,thanks for the macho rev b recommendation. im gonna order it now.

mark5916 1 point 3 months ago

Yeah, and if you get the extra black ones the cooler will cost you even more. lol

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I think the Thermalright Macho rev B is a pretty good match for a Mugen 5. The Le Grand Macho is a beast, up there with the NH-D15 if not larger, and unless you're going to try to melt your 8600K or want lowest possible temps, the Le Grand is probably a bit more cooler than you really need.

A Cryorig H5 universal might be worth a look as well, depending on price. Or the larger R1, but then you're back into NH-D15 territory.

yeah funny story i had the cryorig h5 recommended to me originally on this site, but then loads of ppl said go with the mugen. but yeah im gonna order the macho rev b now from amazon. thanks buddy

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Oddly enough, my Mugen 5 was also delivered with some bent heatsink plates in one corner, but the damage was fairly minor and I straightened it all out with needle-nose pliers. Maybe the Mugen is such a great value because they save on packaging... :-)

ahh crud i didnt even think to get pliers to fix it. crud. well dangit, i could have been rocking my new rig these past 3 weeks..... blehhhhhh. i took a picture of it and i probably could have tried to fix it 11 of the corner tips of the heat sinks were bent on mine. i guess i could have tried to straighten it out myself.

my first thoughts when i saw it were, ok im not an engineer so im going to return this.