add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

after upgrading from 1x8gb ram to 2x8gb ram, games are crashing!

lucianojamimbo
  • 14 months ago

[SOLVED!] flashed BIOS and it fixed my issues ======================= original post:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/lucianojamimbo/saved/#view=mMwdCJ

pc list

tested the new stick on its own and had no issues, then when i put in a 2nd i get crashes, no clue whats going on.

update: here is what tomb raider says after playing it for a bit:

A problem has occurred with your display driver. your system may not have enough resouces to run the game at the selected settings. you can retry using the same settings, or adjust them to lower settings. make sure you have the latest drivers for your video hardware, try rebooting your system to help clear up any issues.

(0x887a0006: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG)

going to make sure all my drivers for everything are up to date.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure that you are putting them in the correct slots. Some boards will freak out if you don't have them in the correct slots for the config of memory. This could be a bad stick of RAM and could be a bad board. Try the original stick by itself in each slot in the board and try to get it to crash. If you can't put the same stick in the next slot and repeat until you have put that stick in each slot. If it passes all of those then do the same thing with the new stick. If it passes that then try with both stick in different slot configs to see if you can get it to crash. This should narrow it down to either RAM or board. Let me know what you find out after testing.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

i think it is board, there are only two slots. i tested using the new RAM stick alone and had no issues. will try flashing the BIOS because i had an issue with games crashing/performance before that fixed it.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Might be a good intermediate step before flashing BIOS. Also are you running any kind of overclock on the RAM?

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

i flashed the bios and it fixed the issues

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Flash / update the BIOS

Then disable XMP

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

i flashed the bios and it fixed the issues

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

RMA the new stick

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

will probably run a memtest before doing that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube