PCPartPicker

• Register

Question about fan splitter with motherboard.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

8bitbro 4 months ago

Good Morning PCPRs, Hope all is well on this awesome Friday. So I have been steadily picking parts for an ITX build and the motherboard i am interested in is the MSI B450 Gaming Plus AC, as I would believe this to be the best board for my needs. After looking over board specs, I saw that it only has 1 4pin connector for system fans. I received 2 of the Corsair ML140s yesterday. My question is am I able to use a 4 pin fan splitter and still have my corsair fans run in PWM off the mobo? Thank you and Best Regards.

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 3 points 4 months ago

I would get a Silverstone PWM Fan hub, as it is powered

8bitbro submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Hi eesti, thank you for responding. I didn't even think about this. Just viewed and its an interesting product. Not sure though if I will have the room in the case. I will have to check. Thank you for the idea. Best Regards.

eesti 2 points 4 months ago

Stash it in a hard drive bay

I dont think it has one, technically. The case i have is a Metallic Gear Neo Mini G. The sata drives can be installed behind the mobo, but actual spinners have to be mounted where it can be viewed in the case, if that makes sense (also where 120 fans can be mounted)

eesti 2 points 4 months ago

use some double-sided tape to mount it on top with the PSU

Hi eesti, i do thank you for your help and responses in trying to figure this out. Unfortunately the PSU route is a no go too. PSU is mounted at the top of the case. Here is a link of the case if your are interested to see. http://metallicgear.com/products/Neo-G-Series-mITX. Wanted to give myself a challenge with an itx build, and i'm getting one lol.

PrivatePengu 2 points 4 months ago

Keep in mind that this wont allow you to control every single fan individually, rather the speed of the fan in the first slot (IIRC, might depend on the exact model) is going to dictate the speed of every other fan.

Hello PrivatePengu, Thank you for responding. I honestly do not know how PWM really works as this will be the first time trying it. So I understand what you are saying in regards to not controlling each fan individually. But for my own knowledge, and if I am reading it correctly, are you saying that when you plug the hub into mobo, it reads the speed of the fan, say 500rpm in slot 1. Will the hub then kick the 2nd fan on at 500rpm as well?

PrivatePengu 2 points 4 months ago

Yes, exactly. It basically copies the fan speed to every single fan connected to the hub. So the motherboard decides what fan speed one fan should run at, and that fan speed is duplicated onto every other fan connected to the hub.

So if you have two fans connected, you can only have them running at the same speed, and not different speeds. I just thought you'd like to be aware of this.

Awesome. This is perfect. Thank you so much for the help and clarification. This helps with my decision to purchase. :)

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

If you have just 2 fans I don't see a problem with using a splitter. The thing you have to watch out for is fan current draw, but 2 ML140's aren't going to overload the header. You probably should double check the motherboard specs but I'm going to guess that it's a 2 amp header.