add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st PC build unsure how to install the OS

Boats95
  • 18 months ago

Hi,

This will be my first PC build. What ways are out there to install the OS once the PC is fully assembled?

I am aware of two options at this time:

1) PC case that supports the optical drive and purchasing the $98 Windows 10 OS on a CD

2) Stand alone optical drive and purchasing the $98 Windows 10 OS on a CD

How exactly is the OS installed once the build is complete?

Thanks!

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Buy the retail version and it will come on a USB stick, no dvd drive needed. Or if you buy just the license you need to put it on your own USB drive using the Microsoft tool to download win10 and properly put it on the USB. You will need a working computer to do this, either another pc you have, a friend, maybe a library/school PC, etc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

You can purchase Windows on a USB stick or just as a digital copy and move it to a USB stick.

Installing Windows is basically just clicking Next, Next, Next.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

So Windows 10 comes in a USB style installation? All we have to do is just stick the USB into the USB port of the custom-built pc and install the OS? No optical drive needed?

I ask because I am gonna be building one myself and this is also one of the questions that I have lol.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

it depends what version of windows that you buy. The OEM version comes on a DVD and would need an optical drive. The retail version comes on a usb. In both cases you get a valid license and if you broke your dvd or damaged the usb drive you could remake it using the Microsoft tools to download win10 and setup a new flash drive as an installation media.

I would recommend getting the retail version with the USB and transferable license. You build the PC and make sure you can boot into bios properly. Then you should just need to insert the usb and boot the pc, it will read the usb and start the windows 10 installation process.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

so what's the difference between the oem version and retail version? especially in regards to building your own pc

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Retail is what you get in the store, sold to consumers. You have full support from Microsoft and are free to install it as often as you want and anywhere you want (provided you only use it on one PC at a time).

OEM is what is sold to system builders who are reselling the PC. Aside from the DVD vs USB the reason OEM is cheaper is because your system builder is reselling it to you (in theory), and they take on the warranty (you get no warranty/support from Microsoft). The next big item is that Microsoft will know what hardware it is installed on and does not allow it to be moved to a different computer in future. So if your motherboard dies and you upgrade to something new, it invalidates your license.

There are no differences in use from either version. It is the same software and features etc. just a different license type. Microsoft does not want you to use OEM since that is not what it is intended for, but if you do just understand the differences and that you would be your own tech support and never be able to use it on a different machine in future.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

i see. thank you for that

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the tips!

I feel more at ease after watching few OS install videos on YouTube.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube