add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on Navi leaks

Kobay

11 months ago

What do you guys think of the Navi leaks? I know we should not get our expectations too high up, and we still need time to wait for the new architecture to mature and MSRPs to get back to normal after the release. But from what I heard, it is kinda too good to be true.

For me, personally, I would wait for the CES announcement and decide whether to hold out for Navi or not. I was going to buy a RX580 soon but since the leaks claim the Navi Cards could perform so much better for the same price, I think I'll wait a bit.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 5 points

Lets all take a step back and remember the expectations we had for RX Vega at this point in ITS release cycle. Granted, much of what crippled Vega was outside AMD's control (HBM2 and crypto-mining), but ultimately the performance and price left us with a product that, even now, has a ratio that is still out of whack when compared to available alternatives.

I hope Navi is great. I'd love to freesync 1440p, >=60Hz, high/ultra settings for $250 - $300. My RX 480 isn't going to do that unless the fans spool up to something akin to the blow dryers at the local car wash. I choose to remain skeptical but hope to be pleasantly surprised when the dust settles. Unlike Charlie Brown and Lucy, I'm only going to let AMD RTG pull that football trick on me once, and that was Vega.

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

They are very nice but these recent AMD leaks are almost too good to be true. Anymore I won't believe it until I see product availability at MSRP prices and I see it in benchmarks. Hopefully every bit of it is true though because I remember how much market disruption the Radeon HD4000 series cards caused and that kind of disruption would be helpful today.

I remember having high hopes for Bulldozer but that didn't turn out well. Zen got pushed back a lot.

It's not really AMD who creates the hype though. It's these leaks being wrong and it's fanboys who make such claims as Vega being on par with Volta, not Pascal.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Obviously it's all unsubstantiated rumors at this point, but if they go with the 3080, 3070, 3060 naming scheme that will annoy me. All that will do is confuse the ignorant consumer who will also see 1000 series and 2000 series cards from Nvidia, but clearly 3000 is better because it's higher.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats what they did with X299 and X399

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, so it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same thing with Navi. It's just annoying and potentially confusing when they name their products like that, makes it seem like it's the next gen of the 2000 series.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean it is some clever marketing, one upping their competitors.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

From a business perspective yeah for sure, now Nvidia is going to have to do something different in 2 years or whenever their next gen releases. It's basically gamesmanship between them all

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I am going to be patient and hold on on building a gaming PC. From what im reading the CPUs and GPUs are going to be worth the wait.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a R5 2600 already on black friday, however I do get the chance to wait for the Navi GPUs, hopefully they will be worth the wait :)

[comment deleted]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know what to think. The performance of a GTX 1080 for half the price ($250) is a bit unrealistic to me. So, either graphic cards are very cheap to manufacture, or NVIDIA just sells at a premium for branding, like Intel and Apple when their products are worth half the price.

But if the Navi cards are as performant as rumours say, I expect the stock of AMD to go up quite reasonably.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1080 is like 3 years old

It could be possible tbh

• 11 months ago
  • 0 points

The age doesn't really matter. The 1080 is a very powerful graphics card that can play any current game at ultra settings.

While it is true that technology often moves too fast, it ages up quite well.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Age does matter

Technology is always moving forward, and price to performance is always changing

That would be like comparing a i7 980X to a i7 8700k, I mean they both have 6c 12t

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The leaks are likely hopes and dreams.

AMD already confirmed that Navi is not and will not be a high end product, it is a mid range Polaris replacement, and high end products are not coming until later generations.

You are probably looking at more of a 25-35% performance increase not the 100%+ that the leaks are showing it has.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Shouldn't there be 7nm Vega leaks by now? I'd expect Navi to get the same scaling from Polaris "for free" that Vega gets from 14nm to 7nm. Any Navi-specific improvements should get compounded on top of that.

One thing we do know about Navi is that Sony is paying for the design, so expect something designed for the PS5.

Certainly no special raytracing transistors. No "machine learning" bits either (the other part that makes "RTX" games "RTX").

AMD may have to fight to maintain IEEE754 compatibility (it sounds like wasting half your transistors/power on a console, if this goes then don't expect to ever see a navi-enabled ALU (unless re-added in a later high-end product)).

FP16 might be included. Nvidia won't include this to drive people to high end Quadro cards, but it should come in handy in graphics use.

Overall I'd expect Sony to want to showcase at least a few "true" 4k@60Hz games. If the rest are rendered lower (but higher than a PS4) and scaled up that is to be expected on a console. That's probably a bit more than 25% but certainly doesn't require 100%. Probably still less than a 50% improvement, but watch for 7nm Vega before placing your bets (of course Sony has a good idea what these numbers are and might want a cheaper chip that just hits the numbers they want).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

7nm Vega is only available to AMD's data center partner any leaks are easily tracked and cost them the equipment.

Navi also hasn't been confirmed as being on any node yet giving the need to keep costs down it's not unlikely that it will be on TSMC 16nm FF++ or Samsung/GF14nm LPP.

Being its solely graphics focused it doesn't need the unused FP and compute units AMD has overused in the past which lowers it needed cooling and power draw.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Presumably Vega20 is set to be released this month, so it won't be a "leak". If it isn't, that worries me for AMD's 7nm availability.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Vega 20 has been out for awhile it is a mobile product.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13532/amds-vega-mobile-lives-vega-pro-20-16-in-november

The leaked "Vega 20" was misdirection from AMD.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Power. Hungry.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

7nm .5 the power same performance

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

o heck cool

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube