• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

RainOfPain125 9 days ago

Theres a new Browser I found while scrolling through tech news called Brave. I'm using it right now. It's like Chrome and all, but who made it, what is their intentions, does it simply track and send my browser data to google like Chrome would? How does it perform so well? What trade off is it doing?

I'm kinda confused, just wondering if someone here knew.

Comments Sorted by:

gorkti200 2 Builds 2 points 9 days ago

The short description is its trying to supplant existing ads with its own ad network. It blocks all ads but the team is trying to build its own proprietary ad network to replace them with, and trying to get publishers/sites to buy into accepting payments from their network. There's a blockchain element involved, because of course there is. Back when I was reading a lot into ethereum, Brave was one of the more interesting ideas on the horizon.

It performs so well because its blocking all the ******** that is tacked onto webpages through ad networks and tracking cookies. The tradeoff is the browser itself is built to carry Brave's ad network. A browser like Chrome doesn't include ads; it has to load them from the specific sites you are visiting. Its like offloading the ad traffic from your network to your CPU.

RainOfPain125 submitter 2 points 8 days ago

Ah. Thankyou very much, well explained. I didn't get the whole ad part, but now that you've explained it's their own personal ads and the CPU it all makes much sense.

PrivatePengu 1 point 9 days ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_(web_browser)

| Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software Inc. based on the Chromium web browser and its Blink engine. The browser blocks ads and website trackers. In a future version of the browser, the company intends to adopt a pay-to-surf business model.

| The current version features 20 search engines by default, including their partner DuckDuckGo.

| Brave Software has announced that it is developing a feature allowing users to opt in to receiving ads sold by the company in place of ads blocked by the browser.

flexo_is_great 1 point 9 days ago

the company intends to adopt a pay-to-surf business model

I wonder what that means.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_to_surf

Ah yes, I had forgotten, it worked so well for the dot com era too. I guess it's been long enough where a new generation has to give it a go. I'm sure people will just rush in to block ads from random 3rd people tracking them, for a specific first party tracking them... under the incentive of getting paid a nickle an hour in trade for their privacy.

firedrakes 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

i have it on my cell phone atm. good browser