• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

fairtradesloth 4 months ago

Ugh..I've already ordered all my parts except the case. Just can't make up my mind! Ideally I want a case that is A) easy to build in for a first timer, B) does not require extra fan purchases, C) is big enough to allow for some upgrades in the future (speficially a better GPU in a year or 2) but not so big I'll regret getting a larger size than I'll ever need.

I'm primarily looking at the FD Meshify C and Define R6 right now, but open to suggestions. Define R6 seems to come with a nice fan configuration and looks like it'd be an easy build as it's bigger than the Meshify. But -- maybe too big, maybe not enough airflow?

Here's my parts list, with this in mind would either of the above cases be good to go stock without extra fans?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $178.90 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $249.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $72.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $98.98 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply *EVGA - 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.89 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $39.50 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1662.01
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $1612.01
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 10:35 EST-0500

PS don't care about glass side panels really. Would be sort of nice, but not a deal breaker at all.

Comments Sorted by:

esotken 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

both the mechify and R6 have excellent airflow

• both come with case fans though for both I would recommend adding more, but its not a deal breaker
  • mechify is smaller and has less upgradability options, plus tighter GPU length restriction
  • R6 is bigger and more designed for custom water cooling, but has superb upgrade and config options

I personally use the Define S which is similar to the R series cases, just a bit more open. Anyway I would go with the Mechify in this case. It is smaller and a little tighter to work in, but nothing crazy.

fairtradesloth submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. So if I go with Meshify stock, should be fine with my 1070Ti in there for the time being? Assume it's easy enough to add another fan at some point if needed. No plans on overclocking, for what that's worth.

For kicks, if I were to add one fan to the Meshify - any recommendation?

You have two options really

1. buy the same kind of fan thats currently in the case
  2. buy different fans altogether

The case ships with 1x 120mm fan in back for exhaust and 1x 120mm in front for intake

The case can hold:

• 2x 140mm fans in front or 3x 120
  • 1x 120 in back
  • 1x 120 on bottom
  • 2x 120 or 140 on top

With the options in mind, here is choice 1, overhaul existing fans with aftermarket options

Type Item Price
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case $98.98 @ Newegg Business
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140mm Fan $8.85 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140mm Fan $8.85 @ Amazon
Case Fan ARCTIC - F12 PWM PST 53 CFM 120mm Fan $9.57 @ Amazon
Total $126.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 11:40 EST-0500

I would put two 140mm fans in the front as intake and one 120mm in back as exhaust. The bottom slot isnt that useful unless you want direct air flowing onto your GPU if necessary, and leave the top slots alone. Those are best for all in one coolers, or a second exhaust fan if its necessary.

option 2, use same fans as existing, but buy more of the same.

the fans it comes with are FD Dynamic X2 GP-12 units.

Type Item Price
Case Fan Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (Black) 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan $11.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $110.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-06 11:46 EST-0500

If you choose this path I would think two more as front intake and call it a day there.

the only major downside to the built in fans is that they are not PWM controlled fans, you will havce to use DC mode in your BIOS to control their fan speeds. If that is not an option they will be running at full speed all the time.

Might go with choice 1, verbatim. The fans are inexpensive so if they work better I don't mind going that route. Will read up on DC vs PWM - but would I need to buy something extra to make use of PWM?

I'm assuming installing fans isn't very difficult...nervous about this whole endeavour,but determined!

DC and PWM are just control modes

DC is for older 3 pin fans PWM is for four pin fans

the motherboard you picked can accommodate either or, the fan headers on it are able to plug either in. And becasue you are buying a high end motherboard, good chance both control modes will be available in the BIOS.

installing fans is a simple process, there are four screws keeping it tied down to the mounting point and they are all standardized sizes, so the brackets you mount them to are all uniform. The hardest part is identifying hwere to plug them into the motherboard. When you get the motherboard, study the manual carefully, it will tell you everything. case fan headers are usually identified as SYS_FAN 1, 2, 3, etc etc. Just find where the header is and plug in the cable.

And this is where cable management comes into play, and the basics is to route the cables behind the motherboard tray and through gromets and holes to make it look clean. Youtube really is your friend to understand how this process works. Its really not as complicated as it sounds.

Excellent, thank you so much for explaining all of that to me. Think I'll probably be going with this case and the 140mm fan setup. Much appreciated esotken!

mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

R6 with a the USB-C adaption.

Note, on the R6 you can detach the front panel completely for more airflow.