• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

g3tr3ckless 9 days ago

I am currently building my first gaming PC and know that i need to do whatever it takes to protect this thing from viruses and etc. What should i be looking for?

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 2 points 9 days ago

Just don't do illegal stuff and nothing bad happens

bucketofcrud12 1 Build 1 point 9 days ago

nothing, IMO. dont visit sketch websites, dont give out personal info, don't be an idiot. if you follow these rules, the chance of coming across a virus or piece of malware that windows defender can't resolve is pretty dang small. if you absolutely must have an antivirus, Avast, Avira, and Malwarebytes would be my go-to's. I haven't used an antivirus in more than 4 years and I've never once had an issue.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 2 points 9 days ago

Windows defender is not that powerful, even with perfect behavior and doing nothing wrong you still have the possibility of downloading an infected file. I would run a routine monthly scan justto make sure. Malwarebytes free is great to have, run it every once in a while and you’ll be absolutely fine.

sure, running a scan wont hurt. maybe I'm just lucky for not having problems in the last few years.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 9 days ago

You likely actually do, if it’s been 4 years...

g3tr3ckless submitter 1 point 9 days ago

I really have no interest of doing anything but using YouTube, Spotify, and gaming on my new rig. I just want to make sure it’s protected from anything I’m not aware of.

yeah, do what damysteryman says...just get malwarebytes and run an occasional scan. you'll be fine.

g3tr3ckless submitter 1 point 9 days ago

Thanks for the help fellas