• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

cpenland 4 months ago

The only difference between all there cards is the boost clock 1545mhz being the lowest card and 1755mhz being the highest card. This is just a factory overclock correct? The min. speed the card would run at.

My question is wouldn't all the cards overclock to roughly the same speed? And why is the pricing so different if thats the case the cooling on the card cant be the only reason its 350$ more. I feel like this is just a marketing scheme to make you spend 350$ more on a factory overclock or am i wrong?

I'm looking at buying the 2080 ti black edition and was just curious on anyone's thoughts on the EVGA 2080 ti black edition vs FTW3.

Comments Sorted by:

Crazyfool 2 points 4 months ago

They probably cherry pick the chips that come out of manufacturing. basically the 'silicon lottery'. they make 1000 of the same chip and not all come out at the same clock speed. It is the same reason why not everyone can overclock to the same speeds with the same cpu. So if they are picking the best of the lot to put in a higher end card and charging extra for it then no, you will not be able to take the passed over versions and be able to overclock it to the same level.

cpenland submitter 2 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

You make a good point, but i dont think we know for sure if they do that but it does make sense.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

The components may be different but no where in the specs does it mention any differences between the two they even have the same cooler ICX2. Just seems odd they want customers to pay more for the same card but fail to list any reason to do so besides the advertised increased clock speed.

darkshadoku 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

I think its components as markal said, that allow better overclocking and more power/better heat dissipation. Another thing to note is that I believe the advertised clock speed is not the only speed it will reach when not "touched" by the user. My GTX 1080 ti FTW 3 is advertised as 1683 Boost clock but in reality it boosts to 1950/1985 on its own while gaming without me doing anything... out of the box.

yeah the listed speed is just the minimum speed the card has to perform to. Like i said sure it probably has different components but the actual listing on there website of the two cards there is nothing that says they are different besides the advertised boosted clock speed and if you want me to pay 35% more for the same card i think they should give some reasoning.

Radox-0 5 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

They do not have the same cooler. The icx2 name is just a nomenclature to cover this generation of coolers. With thermosensors in multiple spots.

The FTE model has a much more substantial 3 slot Tri fan cooler design. It also has a entirely custom and beefed up PCB vs the black edition. Said FTW3 also has some elements like RGB header, fan header etc.

Now with that said, is the likely performance increase the FTW cooler which can likely keep the card cooler and in turn see a boost bin slightly higher worth it, not really but people will still pay a premium for slightly bette hence why all the manufacturers pump out higher end skus.

EVGA have also put out custom BIOS with higher power targets for manual overclockers on Turing, so the beefier PCB and cooler on the FTW may also help slightly in that regards.

Gotcha, still doesn't seem worth it for the pricing difference.

darkshadoku 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

I believe another thing about the bios / difference is that the FTW 3 (at least the 1080 ti one) has a Dual bios switch (master / slave) or something like that

[comment deleted]

Ive been looking for info on the card comparisons but cant find anything specific about them.

[comment deleted]